need some advise

4 replies to this topic
  • ebz06

Posted April 21, 2004 - 12:43 PM

First off, I have had a 04 WR450 for a week now and love it. I have done the following mods. Removed Snokel, removed exhaust insert, and cut down the throttle stop. The break-in is complete and I'm checking the valves tonight.
1. My first question is, which exhaust insert should I get?? I like the power and sound but its just too loud.

2. I know its running lean, but what jets should I get. I'm thinking going up to a 48 pj, but dont know if I should go to a bigger main or just raise the needle?

3. Which skid plate and rad. braces are the best? Is a rad. brace and rad. guard the same thing?

Thanks for any help on these quesitons. :)

• kirkw

Posted April 21, 2004 - 12:55 PM

1. Dont waste money on an insert. Get a Q or PC496 and be done with it. Good power lower noise.

2. Answering a jetting question is like answering a complex algebra question. If you have more than one unknown variable (temp.,altitude, exhaust, etc.) you can not solve the equation.

3. Works connection makes a nice full protection skid plate. As for rad. braces, Devols are popular and strong, as well as Works Connections. look up rad guards/braces in the search section and you will find more info than you need to make a decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt687

Posted April 21, 2004 - 01:57 PM

The more protection and support you can get for your radiator, the better, so get the strongest you can. -Matt

• beezer

Posted April 21, 2004 - 02:34 PM

I dropped my WR on a rock last weekend. It seems I found the perfect spot to be a spazz. I have that special talent. I don't know if a radiator guard would have helped. The radiator is trashed so gettting repaired was out of the question. I ordered one and told the dealer to tell me how much it is when I pick it up. No use crying for a week. One day is enough.

• tcmII

Posted April 21, 2004 - 04:02 PM

Get the JD jet kit and follow the instructions. If you still need help from there, you can post the current set-up and JD and others will guide you.

I bought the JD kit and, with JD's help, my bike has never run better.

Just my two cents.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.