Install DID 520 X-Ring.....how?

9 replies to this topic
  • thumper4life

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:41 PM

Is it difficult to install the DID X-Ring chain? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make the installation better than an hour of cursing and swaring at the master link?

Any tips are greatly appreciated as I am not the best chain installer. :)

• Boit

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:50 PM

The DID X ring chain is my chain of choice so I am familiar with it. The method I use to install the master link clip is to use a master link press. It's only about $15 from Bob's cycle supply and it makes the job so easy. It's very simple to use and is made just for this installation. Other people use needle nosed vice grips or channel locks. I prefer the press.

• thumper4life

Posted May 20, 2002 - 04:01 PM

thats it huh? well that soothes my soul. :)

• DPW

Posted May 20, 2002 - 04:34 PM

I use the channel lock method and a small 8mm socket and gently ease each side of the master link down.

• skthom2320

Posted May 20, 2002 - 05:05 PM

I use a couple of c-clamps and nuts just large enough to go over the pins. Clamp 'em on tight and leave them for about 15 minutes. Come back, take the clamps off, then install the master link clip just like a regular chain...

Steve T

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 12:56 AM

If you got a higher end x-ring like I did then the master link is the rivet type (did you one of these?). In this case the tools is expensive so I just took it to the place where I purchased the chain and let them rivet it on. I would expect them to do it for free if you buy the chain there.

If you got the clip type then you've already got good advice above. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:36 AM

I use a 5 pound BFH and a center punch ...

Ya think thats why me spockets are bending :)

• bbeakley

Posted May 22, 2002 - 08:13 AM

If it's a master link instead of the rivet kind, you can do it like I did. I took the side plate from the previous chain's master link and put it over the top of the new master link side plate and used a set of vice grips to apply pressure. That compressed the o-rings. I let it set for a minute, removed the channel locks and extra side plate, and put the new clip on. Worked like a champ, haven't had any problems since.

The big issue with the x or o-ring chains is the o-ring bulging out. You can't get the side plate on far enough to get the clip on. Any way you can find to temporarily compress it while you install the clip should work. The method above used existing parts and tools, that's why I chose it. I'm sure any of the others listed will work as well.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 22, 2002 - 10:03 AM

Ego, a hammer ya right, I saw you chompin on that thing like a pit bull with your teeth! Besides, dont you use a lawnmower chain on your bike? LOL

Just kiddin,

I use a pair of channel locks too, the middle sized one seems to fit best between the pins, and it should stay long enough to get the clip on.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 22, 2002 - 10:17 AM

Shawn

That was you handing me the salt and pepper wasnt it ? :)

A small Needle nosed Vise Grip is the best......

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.