What's a safety wire

8 replies to this topic
  • 450roost

Posted April 21, 2004 - 09:53 AM

April dirt bike says Heath Voss and all Yamaha four stroke pilots now run two safty wires from the carb to the engines top-end.
Can anyone explain what this is I have never heard of it before? :)

• yamaboy233

Posted April 21, 2004 - 10:04 AM

They mean from the airboot to the intake.

• jbrooks26

Posted April 21, 2004 - 10:28 AM

April dirt bike says Heath Voss and all Yamaha four stroke pilots now run two safty wires from the carb to the engines top-end.
Can anyone explain what this is I have never heard of it before? :)

Safety wire is just that. It is a piece of wire that is generally twisted for strength and it is used to keep things from comming apart. We use it at work to keep bolts from backing out, it is used by many people on the grips to help keep the water out from under them. To do it correctly you need to buy a pair of safety wire pliers, they are inexpensive I think I paid around $10 for mine. Good investment, I kept my 86 YZ250 on the trails for several years with safety wire alone. Great for emergency repairs. Hope this helps.

Josh

• tctrailrider

Posted April 21, 2004 - 10:32 AM

On hard landings the carb. has been known to pop out of the front boot. This is the cure. There is a thread going on the 250 side about this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • basicblues

Posted April 21, 2004 - 12:12 PM

So where does one purchase this saftey wire and pliers? What gauge is the wire?

• yamaha.dude

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:06 PM

So where does one purchase this saftey wire and pliers? What gauge is the wire?

Anywhere from NAPA to Snap-on... the wire is stainless steel, there are a couple of gauges of wire.

Good luck,

David

• 450roost

Posted April 22, 2004 - 04:07 AM

thanks! :)

• ogrebelle

Posted April 22, 2004 - 08:04 AM

Good investment, I kept my 86 YZ250 on the trails for several years with safety wire alone. Great for emergency repairs.

:D That kills me, I know the feeling. My old '82 RM250 lived on this stuff (and a few other unspeakables I dare not share). Bottom line: Safety-wire = good stuff :).

• JVP

Posted April 22, 2004 - 09:30 AM

Just for info. I safety wire my rear brake and shift lever to the frame. You can buy them from MSR for about $5 each. Or you can go to the Home Depot and buy a pack of crimps 2 feet of fuel line and cable for about $1 and get the same thing. :) If you are riding in brush or in narrow rocky areas they are a must. It is a real bumper to have your brake level all twisted up. :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.