WHY ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH PLUGS?

21 replies to this topic
  • yzboy

Posted May 20, 2002 - 08:47 AM

I STARTED RACEING YAMAHAS LAST YEAR, BEFORE THAT WAS HONDA'S. I CANT BELIVE ALL THE PROMBLEMS WITH THE PLUGS AND THE JETTINGS. MY 426 HAS NEVER FOULED A PLUG IN THE LAST 2 YEARS OR DID I HAVE TO ADJUST MY JETTING. I HAVE ALOTE OF FRIENDS THAT ALSO RIDE THE 426, THE SAME THING THEY HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. WHAT IM GETTING AT IS THEIR REALLY SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE WAY THEY MADE THE 426 FROM 2000 TO 2002 OR DID I GET LUCKY WITH MY BIKE. I DONT WANT TO TALK BAD ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEIR BIKES BUT SOME TIMES I THINK THAT IT HAS TO DO WITH THE RIDER. I BEEN RIDEING AND RACEING FOR THE 25 YEARS AND THE YZF 426 IS THE BEST BIKE THAT I HAVE EVER OWNED,

• Ga426owner

Posted May 20, 2002 - 08:51 AM

Me Too YZBoy....Ditto :)

• FASTFRANK

Posted May 20, 2002 - 09:05 PM

Let me guess both of you haven't messed w/ your bikes jetting wise? I wish I had not messed w/ mine because I too had never had a problem w/ plugs or jetting until now. I can still say that in a year of owning my bike I only have fouled 3 plugs. One was because of overoiling the air filter, next was same thing, and third was a party I had and people were twisting my throttle while sitting on the bike. I am looking forward to getting my jetting dialed in though and get back the power the bike is supposed to make and not be missing and sputtering. "Ga426" what jetting and air filter are you running? Are you stock or have you altered it any. Your riding conditions have to be pretty similiar to mine. I wish I was as fortunate as both of you not to have any problems, but I would still consider the prob's I have had as minor!! Also the 426 is definitely the best bike money can buy!! Frank :)

• LJ

Posted May 20, 2002 - 09:10 PM

My guess is it has something to do with atmospheric conditions. My YZ400 runs awsome at sea level pretty much all year in California, but when I take it up to the Sierras (4000 ft) when it is cold and snowing/raining, my bike pops on decel and is hard to start when cold. I turned out the fuel screw and the problem is pretty much eleminated.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 20, 2002 - 09:30 PM

yzboy

It must be all the years of experiance you have starting bikes. Ya I agree it must be the rider.

Cant be the bike, if it was then all the posts here would indicate that over 60% of the riders are half-wits, and dont know how to start a bike..

Ya I agree, Just one minute,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
BaaaaaaaaaaaaaaRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAp--Fooooing
Ahh I just past a little gas :)

• Ga426owner

Posted May 20, 2002 - 10:06 AM

FastFrank, my jetting is stock. You may want you discuss with MXTuner - MarkKlein at mxtuner@mindspring.com He set up my bike as well
as many other 250F & 426F's here in the southeast. He can give you help on your jetting issue.

• yzboy

Posted May 20, 2002 - 11:30 AM

YA, EGO-A-HOLE IT MUST BE ALL THE EXPERIENCE I HAVE STARTING THE BIKE. IT SEEMS LIKE EVERY TIME I WANT TO RIDE I HAVE TO START MY BIKE. IM NOT SAYING I CAN START MY BIKE ON THE FIRST KICK, IT MIGHT TAKE ME 2 KICKS

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 20, 2002 - 11:46 AM

yzguy

ARE YOU YELLING AT ME :)

I just thought you were some kinda bike starting god or something :D

Ease up on the CAPS yzguy, means yer yelling

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• mikeolichney

Posted May 20, 2002 - 12:49 PM

I firmly believe alot of the plug fouling problems are caused by oxy pump gas. Several of my friends also had the problem, so it may be regional. I could go out, buy pump gas with 10% ethanol, put it in my tank and have the plug foul 15 minutes later (while riding aggressively on an MX track). Very frustrating.

• rmarion

Posted May 20, 2002 - 02:46 PM

Ditto Boys,

No problems on starting the 99-400 or 02-250F(I've changed the plug once on the 400)
Now maybe WestDog can throw a gas can on this thread....
I love BLUE.................

Now wheres that 03-YZ450 :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:29 PM

Ive been lookin at the areas that the posts come from on the whole fouled plug deal, and all of those states have super strict fuel formulation rules IE winter gas, summer gas. Ive never had a problem, unless, I screwed up an didnt notice I was out of fuel, and stopped at the 92 pump. Im almost certain, its the gas. It doesnt even need really good gas, just not bad gas.

• Boit

Posted May 20, 2002 - 04:42 PM

I certainly don't have an answer as to why some 426's foul plugs and others don't. My '00 has never fouled a plug yet, one of my riding/racing friends had a '01 that fouled them at times. Like Shawn, I've been following this problem closely, but have no real concrete opinion on why this occurs. I certainly would not discount the fuel issue as a source. However, what has become valuable to me is the different methods of solving this problem. Hopefully, I have gained some knowledge and insight into what to look for in the future.

• 250grip

Posted May 20, 2002 - 04:48 PM

shawn mc, I just got my426 and live in so cal. Your post seems to say that buying 92 pump gas is a screw up. If this is so, what kind of gas do you run? Ive only run 92 pump gas- so far so good for me.

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 20, 2002 - 07:05 PM

mikeolichney,

I've had your problem now. I was running a 162 main, FHN#3, 35pilot, 1 1/2 turns today. Was trying the lower clip and smaller pilot because I had just fouled a plug last ride. Wanted to be way too lean to prove a point to myself. Anyway, went through a new plug in less than an hour riding intermediate MX. Pulled the plug and it wasn't "sooty" at all. It looked like it had been painted black with a flat enamel. Was pretty evenly colored from the center electrode, center ceramic, bottom electrode, and bottom of threads. Never saw a plug quite like it.

Anyway, I have always run Shell 93 through it. They must have had the seasonal formulation change, because I clearly wasn't rich (and it had lean symptoms on pilot and needle), I only started it twice with no choke and no twist. The only other explanation is fuel. And I still have two gallons in it. I'm taking extra plugs tomorrow to see if it repeats. Oh yeah, CR8E.

can empathize now,
mwc

• CHris_PArks

Posted May 20, 2002 - 08:54 PM

the problem is not gas. its jetting. check out the wr guys. they have it down.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:51 AM

I agree with Chris
No I agree with Shawn
Wait I agrree with ...............................................................Ahhhhhhhhrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg

I am so Confused :) Now I got GAS
Shawn is onto something, I think now its a conspiracy of the US goverment to disrupt the proper channel of higher jetting. Think about this a minute back in the 60's we used to have just pure gas 95octain, then in the seventies big hair, polyester and 92 octain with methinol.
The 80's came and went "We were lucky to get gas" then the 90's with 91 octain and ethinol now in the gas.

If you think about it now, thats when the ping started to be more noticable in the engines.

I am telling you, that the ping your engines make, is a higher form of communication the engines have to speak to each other. I am saying that engines are a simbiant living creatures.

The goverment dosnt want us to know that :D

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 21, 2002 - 03:28 AM

Chris,

I'm a WR guy. I have gone through months where I've practically lived in the carb. I wrote the Jetting 101 and AP 101 posts on the WR side. I've tested jetting combinations, including a set of leak jet tests primarily for clearing up issues posted here. I'm not an expert on the level of Taffy or JD or Hick, but I am very familiar with my carb.

Most fouling is due to jetting. Some is due to starting technique. A little to shutting down while still not warmed up. What I had yesterday was the gas. It was lean on the pilot and needle, and I was showing some boys new to the track some of the easier jumps so I wasn't on the main (it wasn't lean but a 162 isn't rich with a FHN needle). I only started twice in the hour I went through the plug, never twisted the throttle and never used choke.

I'm convinced that yesterday, the problem I had was gas.

Good luck,
mwc

• OZZY

Posted May 21, 2002 - 04:20 AM

Let me just say a few things, jeting and pump ajustments was way off on mine, new from the dealer. just do a search and you can tell there is a problem. And its more than learing the drill.

• Ian_M.

Posted May 21, 2002 - 04:52 AM

The problem wasn't the GAS i was using it was my ELECTRICAL SYSTEM on my bike which is now 3 mothes old. The bike hasn't fouled out sence it came back from the dealer with a new CDI and coil. just my .02

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 05:09 AM

I get the weirdest responces from sheeple whe I have bad gas :)
Kinda Puzzles me

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.