Dealers suck, please help on powerup kit

11 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:23 AM

Well, you guys helped me make my decision to getting the XR650R over the WR. I went to Rockey Mountain Cylcle Plaza here in Colorado Springs to price the thing and here is what I got. Price of bike $5856 and I said I wanted the power up kit installed which in CA was about $150. At this dealer he said that would be $899!!!!!!!!!! &%$#@!! I told him "wait a minute, I'm talking about the mufler insert, airbox insert and jetting, shouldn't be near that much". He told me its $899 and he would give me $100 off that. I asked him what parts were involved and he told me it was more than the parts I mentioned. I asked him to check again and he again told me this was the only powerup kit listed other than one by White Brothers for $1300.

Is this guy on crack?

Aaron

• qadsan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:41 AM

First off, it sounds like your dealer is wanting a bit too much for the bike. Plan to shop around if you can. If you don't mind buying last years model (same bike), then try to find one as that may save you money. I'm in SoCal and bought my bike brand new from Sun Honda in Thorton CO a few years ago for $3450 + $150 for shipping out the door. Granted this was a very special deal where they bought a bunch of leftover models from aution and were blowing out the last 5 XR650R's they had at this special price, but you should be able to do better than $58XX if you shop around. I've also seen quite a few used bikes lately that are barely used if you don't mind a used bike.

Just from taking a quick look around, here's a brand new 2002 XR650R for $4499 from a dealer in SoCal. Here's the link to it.
http://www.cycletrad...l.html?45492790

Here's a link to a brand new 2003 XR650R for $3999 from Ride Motorsports in WA at 425-487-3881, 866-533-7433.
http://www.cycletrad.../6/69723316.htm

Here's a link to a used 2002 XR650R with less than 100 miles on it and it's in Littleton CO for $4100. Here's the contact info 303-948-0099 (nights), 303-520-4339
http://adcache.cycle.../8/69478068.htm

Here's another used one in Denver for $4K and it includes free oil changes for the summer, 6 month warranty, a trailer, riding gear, etc. Here's the phone number... 720-270-3754
http://adcache.cycle.../6/69477976.htm

Here's another used 2001 that's already uncorked with the FMF exhaust system, the side panel cutout, looks sharp from the pictures I've seen, uni air filter, Acerbis hand guards, removable fender bag & new rear tire, mirror & brake light actuator switch included so it is street legal if you register it, $3,800 obo, call Andy at 303-489-2012.
http://adcache.cycle.../4/68057064.htm

Remember, you've probably got some wiggle room with both new and or used, so plan to work the numbers a bit more and you'll do much better than $58XX.

The kit your dealer is talking about is a full HRC kit which is Honda PN# "06130-NLB-010" and it includes the following components:

Gasket, Right Cover
Gasket, Cylinder
Gasket, Cylinder Head
Piston
Piston Ring Set
Piston Pin
Clip, Piston Pin
Camshaft Assy.
Sprocket, Timing
Sprocket, Cam
Chain, Cam
Guide, Cam chain
Tensioner, Cam Chain
Lifter Assy, Tensioner
Gasket, Tensioner Lifter
Spring, Clutch
Spark Plug R7113-10
Spark Plug R7113-9
Rubber, Stud
Bolt, Flange 6x25
Needle Jet set
Jet, Main # 180
Jet, Main # 182
Jet, Main # 185
Jet, Main # 188
Jet, Main # 190

Here's a pictures of it...
Posted Image

Unless you want the full kit which most people don't want, then you simply want to uncork your bike which includes removing the airbox restrictors, installing the non-EPA intake or cutting it out, new jets in the carb & either drilling out the exhaust tip or replacing it with the HRC tip. These simple do-it-yourself mods will completely transform the bike into something much more powerful. See the following links for more information on uncorking.

http://www.xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/#4
http://www.xr650r.net/nonepa.html
http://www.qsl.net/n...ing the brp.htm

And here's yet another for sale in CO. It's a barely used 2001 with the extended warranty and its got a few extras. There's been no bids on it yet and maybe he'll get none, which means you may be able to contact him for an even better price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...&category=50012

• TimBrp

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:44 AM

Qadsan what would we do without yah man?! He's correct about the different kits. I went to my dealer and there is no power-up kit from Honda. It's all offered seperately so the price stays nice and high. I personally think that 899 w/ 100 bucks off for the HRC kit is a good deal. They are looking for too much on the bike. If your gonna spend 6,000 then get the CRF450X for another 600.

• resslera

Posted April 21, 2004 - 10:21 AM

Thanks much for the info. I figured the dealer had to be talking about more than just the items I mentioned for the powerup kit.

I have definitely been hiting cycletrader but you found some that I didn't. I definitely wasn't ready to pay the $5856 the dealer was asking, but just pricing. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the remainder of the year and if I have to drive a little I will. I'm going to tag this thing for the road so hopefully I can stay local and find a decent price.

Definitely buying new with this one.

thanks,

Aaron

• TimBrp

Posted April 21, 2004 - 04:10 PM

Just remember if you buy out of state and go to register it in your state you'll be paying the sales tax all over again. It's a couple hundred bucks but you still gotta dish it out.

• smashinz2002

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:37 PM

Price of bike way too high, but of course I got my '00 back in '01 lightly used and still stock.
Anyway, the dealer is trying to rip you off and sell you the full blown HRC race kit, which of course you probably don't need.
I don't think the uncorking thing actually comes as a "kit". You have to buy the parts individually either from Honda or from somewhere like Bajadesigns, where I got my "kit" from. It includes a 175 main jet (too rich for colorado use a 165 or 160), a new needle jet, a new jet needle (different taper), a 40mm intake boot, and a 40mm HRC exhaust tip w/spark arrestor. It's up to you to remove the airbox snorkel and baffle plate ,and drill out the airbox if you want to. I'm below 1000' so I run a 180 main, all the other uncorking things, and cutouts in the airbox. The bike is insanely powerful with this setup and I see no need for the full blown HRC racing kit, so don't waste your money!
The beauty of this bike is that you can very easily tune it for whatever your needs are, such as low power (stock), medium power (34mm drilled stock exhaust tip with 165 jetting, still pretty quiet), full power mode (40mm HRC tip with 175 jetting, loud), and modified (no exhaust tip, 180 jet, airbox cutouts, very loud).
This is one kick ass bike man once you learn about all the things you can do to it to fit your riding and where you are going to ride.
Oh yeah, and I've been riding mine hard for almost three years now and it's never had any problems other than a loose kickstart bolt (blue loctite it!) and a lost upper subframe nut (replace and blue loctite it!) These bikes are typical Honda, super reliable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RidesRed

Posted April 22, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Anyway, the dealer is trying to rip you off and sell you the full blown HRC race kit, which of course you probably don't need.

The guy ASKS his dealer about the power-up kit (there is only ONE power up kit and its made by HRC), they quote him a discounted price (it retails for nearly 1200 dollars) and you say they are tryin to "rip him off". Did I miss something here? By the way, that power up kit will give works-bike-like power. I am looking forward to next winter, when I install this kit in my bike. All for the sake of embarrassing many 600-class sport bikes next spring. I'd like to know the name of that dealer, and see if I can get mine through them for that low price.

• rolandska

Posted April 22, 2004 - 09:24 AM

The guy ASKS his dealer about the power-up kit (there is only ONE power up kit and its made by HRC), they quote him a discounted price (it retails for nearly 1200 dollars) and you say they are tryin to "rip him off". Did I miss something here? By the way, that power up kit will give works-bike-like power. I am looking forward to next winter, when I install this kit in my bike. All for the sake of embarrassing many 600-class sport bikes next spring. I'd like to know the name of that dealer, and see if I can get mine through them for that low price.

06130-NLB-010

$898.00 ALL day long :)

• resslera

Posted April 22, 2004 - 01:55 PM

I guess I was the dumb ass with power up kit. In cali where I priced this same bike this guy told me $150 to install the exaust insert, rejet, and install new manifold so I assumed that was it for the kit. Looking at the sites you all posted, this bike looks easier to uncork than my DR was so I'll stick to this one myself.

That is interesting about having to pay sales tax again if you buy out of state, I wasn't aware of that. Even though I live in colorado now (military) my cars and current bike are registered in Florida. I'm not sure how easy it woud be to register a dirtbike in florida but I hear its easy here in Colorado.

I found an 03 in Kansas for $4499 out the door. It would be a 1200 mile round trip but I'm thinking about it. Like I said, I may just watch for a several more months.

Aaron

• Buckarmadillo

Posted April 22, 2004 - 07:07 PM

You don't pay sales tax again. You are an out of state purchase and pay no sales tax at purchase. You DO pay sales tax in your home state when you register the bike and get the title. I just bought one in Texas and one in Colorado this year. No sales tax until I registered them in New Mexico. Then I paid New Mexico sales tax.

• TimBrp

Posted April 23, 2004 - 01:17 AM

Different strokes for different folks man. I live in mass bought my bike in Lil rhody and I paid twice. The get us for everything they can up here in the good ole' northeast.

• Winkel

Posted April 23, 2004 - 05:57 PM

I bought a barely used 2000 650R, out of state, and did not have to pay sales tax on it when I licensed it in Illinois. Since it was sold as an off road vehicle, the original owner paid the tax, and I submitted it as "exempt" (with the help of a friend at the DMV). I paid $3250, on e-bay, and the bike only had about 50 miles on it. Keep looking!!! :) :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.