dvp/dkp are they the same?

4 replies to this topic
  • kenmoto1

Posted May 22, 2001 - 03:45 PM

I tried getting a DVP needle from my local
yam. dealer and the one that came in was a DKP needle instead, are they the same?I cant seem to get any answers from the dealer as why the part number on the bag is for a DVP and the needle in the bag says DKP. This has happen twice now. If anyone knows if they are the same please help thanks in advance.
(Uncorked 01 WR 426)

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 22, 2001 - 04:21 PM

microfiche is wrong. Same thing happened to me. I did get a DVP later though.

------------------
'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted May 23, 2001 - 07:14 AM

Ken,

Kevin is right. The microfiche is wrong for the DVP if you are looking at the '00YZ426 optional part (5JG-...). The '00YZ426 service manual shows that the part number (5JG-) is DKP on page 7-8.

DKP has the taper start 4.5mm higher and is not going to work. (even if you used the top clip position)

You wanted needle DVP: part #5BE-14916-DP, from the YZ400.

James

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 05-23-2001).]

• Tim_Heslip

Posted May 23, 2001 - 09:04 PM

Listen to both Kevin and J.D. I had the same problem a few weeks back. It took me going to the shop and showing it to them to get them to order the right needle. Bring the part number James listed, you will need it.

BTW: I used all the info gathered here to get me set up with the YZ timeing and jetting. I went with the DVP needle, 48 & 180 jets. I was a little nervous on the first day of riding wondering if I would spend the whole time with a wrench and screwdriver in my hand. I was very very happy when I hit the track. The settings were dead on! No pops no backfires. It pays to listen to others that have already done their homework. Guys like Kevin and James here with all the other great guys like Taffy and Clark etc. make this the best part of owning my WR. Well, second best, but only to taking advantage of the information while on the Blue Beast!

Tim

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 23, 2001 - 05:26 PM

Heck Tim,
Don't thank me for any carb advice. I just follow (Blindly) what the Pro's (Clark, Taff, Andy, JD) recommend.

FYI: When I thought to go richer, JD said leaner. I went leaner...JD was right...SURPRISE!!

I can answer, with competence, any submarine or nuclear power plant questions though... :)

------------------
'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.