Clutch Problem - HELP! HELP!

Hey everyone, this is the first time I've really needed technical support from this forum and I'd really appreciate any advice as I have a big race meeting coming up on the weekend!

The standard original cluth on my 02 426 was starting to slip, so I took the advice of a friend and added one extra steel plate to the clutch assembly to bulk up the mass of the clutch to prevent it slipping. This lasted for about 2 meetings but my clutch was slipping again.

I have since purchased the 9 genuine Yamaha clutch fibres. To those that know, 8 are the same and 1 has a slightly larger diameter hole. This plate goes on first and the larger hole allows two small steel rings to fit inside which acts as a spring.

Anyway, I built the clutch back up with the 9 genuine fibres and the 8 original steel clutch plates. (The extra steel plate I bought I left out, as I only bought this to bulk up the original slipping clutch) The steel plates look ok to me, they are a little discoloured and only one of them has a slight score mark on one side.

However, after firing the bike up, the clutch now seems to be dragging. When I put the bike into 1st gear it very slightly starts to creep forward and is very difficult to select back to neutral. Infact in order to get any clutch action, I had to adjust the cable to its maximum tightness and adjust the on-the-fly lever adjuster alot.

Can someone please offer advice as I am now pulling my hair out, I've had the clutch in and out about 5 times now!

If your clutch basket is notched, or your inner hub notched, both will cause this severe dragging in neutral.

I doubt it hurts anything, but is very annoying. I had god success using a dremel with a fine polishing bit to remove the notches on my bike. I was able to get another 6 months out of the stock basket by doing this.

The clutch basket must be insert correctly so that you can hear that it is touching flat metal against metal. Then you insert the ring that must be between the first basket that transfers the power from the engine to the plates and on to the inner basket. IF that ring is not in perfect place you will tighten the first basket and the second together which make the bike ride although you pull the clutch. The power will go trough the friction between theese two instead of trough the plates.. So when you have tightend the baskets togehter, make sure the can turn freely from eachother before putting the plates in.. ?

Some things that haven’t been mentioned are pressure plate, push rod, and cable.

I would also check your push rod that goes through the motor. I have had some of these that have mushroomed over the ends. If the ends are out of shape you would have a problem with not enough length to disengage your clutch fully.

Your pressure plate could be worn beyond tolerances. When you added the extra metal plate you increased the size of the clutch pack and could have very well ruined your pressure plate.

Also, when was the last time that you replaced the cable? Cables stretch over time.

All of these things could have affected your clutch.

There is a plate, unannounced in the manual. It is labeled FP8 on the friction plate, and it took us like 10 mins to figure out it was there. It has a bigger inside area, and it goes on last so the pressure plate can slip into it. If you do not put this plate last, the pressure plate will move only a little bit.

Hey everyone, thanks for your help and advice!

Just thought, the bike is still using its stndard original clutch cable. I might try changing this tonight after work. To be honest the cable is already adjusted to the max on the adjuster on the casing.

Do cable stretch that quickly, the bike isnt even 2 years old yet!

I thought a clutch cable would last ages.

I try to change the cable every year, but I ride moto and am very hard on my clutches. I have had about every trouble there is with a clutch.

I have never seen nor have I heard of what bushy is talking about. The only thing that is even close to sounding like what bushy is saying (I am not saying you are wrong, but I haven't seen it) is the inner most clutch plates. They have a spring and a specially shaped friction plate.

Its really weird, because when we put in a new clutch boss on my bike, my father and I couldn't get the clutch to engage all the way. What im talking about Doug, is there there is a friction plate that goes on last, atleast on my bike, and it has a bigger cut out area, to match the underside of the pressure plate prefectly. Its not even in the manual.

There is a plate, unannounced in the manual. It is labeled FP8 on the friction plate, and it took us like 10 mins to figure out it was there. It has a bigger inside area, and it goes on last so the pressure plate can slip into it. If you do not put this plate last, the pressure plate will move only a little bit.

Are you sure that one goes in last? I don't have the manual in front of me, but on my '01 I could swear that the funny friction plate went in first. You might want to carefully double check the schematic.

Yes I am looking at the picture right now

Install the clutch plates and frition plates aalternately on the clutch boss, starting with a friction plate 1 and ending with a friction plate 2

I could have sworn there was a FP1, FP2, and FP8 marked on the plates. Maybe I was just seeing things ?