What length chain to buy?

8 replies to this topic
  • dawg

Posted May 20, 2002 - 02:42 AM

Hey guys...I busted my chain yesterday and it took a couple teeth from my Renthal rear with it.I was running a 14/50 combo....I'm going to go with steel sprockets (primary drive or sunstar) this time with a 14/51 gearing...How many links do I need to buy on the DID 520 x-ring? (114 or 116) I ride mostly tight trails in upstate South Carolina.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:32 AM

Dawg
convert it to a pully system like the Harley :)

Stock is 120 links
your fine with 115 - 116 if you are doing twisty tighty stuff.

Personally
a chain is a chain is a chain is a chain. All the gimmicks on chains o-ring, no-ring, toe-ring
A chain no matter what unless its made of real cheap metals, will have only a limited life span. All the gimicks out there make no differance on brands or make types. Renthals are 60 + bucks so are DID. They last just as long as the case hardend no-name brand you get at the local supply store.

I paid 26 bucks for a case hardend 120 links 520 from rockymountain. That chain will last as long if not longer then the Name-Brand "Jeramy Has One" I got Have One Chains..............

• mikeolichney

Posted May 20, 2002 - 01:04 PM

I respectfully disagree. A stock yamaha chain will only last me a couple of rides before it stretches out of spec. A good quality oring chain lasts me a whole season, and almost never needs adjustment.

• Matt_W

Posted May 20, 2002 - 01:54 PM

I agree that an o-ring chain will last much longer than a non o-ring chain. I would buy a chain with 120 links. Despite what the manual says, If you just get 116 links, you may find it too short for your bike . . . it's happened to me. I'm almost positive I ended up with 117 or 118 links on my 426. I just get a chain with 120 links, thread it on the sprockets and slide the masterlink on. This gives you a good indication how many links you may need to take out. Only take a link out at a time and re-measure with the procedure above. You'll be kicking yourself in the arse if you cut it too short because you didn't take the time to measure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:27 PM

yeah imma have to disagree with the ole hole here too...the X-ring chain needs adjustment about every 10-15 races, with the stock it was every race and sometimes after a practice or a moto :)

• Bambislayer

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:13 PM

Just to answer some questions.

Stock chain is not 120 links. It is 114.

You absolutely cannot have 117 links, only even numbers here.

Also with 14/50 my bike required 114 links like stock, but with a 51 on the rear I would go to 116.

Good chains like DID usually only come in 120 link sections and you have to have them cut down. If you cannot cut them down yourself and have top go somewhere I would go with 116 first to see if it fits. If not it is a lot easier to cut 2 more out than add any.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 21, 2002 - 12:53 AM

I must disagree with the chain is a chain theory too. My stocker lasted OK but stretched like a rubber band; sometimes I had to stop in the middle of a day or riding to adjust it because it got soo loose. I'm sure this didn't do any favors for the life span of my sprockets. Now I've got a DID x-ring and I'm so far extremely happy. A very tiny amount of stretch when compared to the stocker so not only do I not have to adjust in the middle of the day (or between rides) but my sprockets should last longer too. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:39 AM

What am I gonna do with you guy's :)

Here is what I said

a chain is a chain is a chain is a chain. All the gimmicks on chains o-ring, no-ring, toe-ring A chain no matter what unless its made of real cheap metals, will have only a limited life span

And then

They last just as long as the case hardend no-name brand you get at the local supply store.

Thats what I said. Thats my Story and Im sticking with it.

In English this means that Yes a cheaply made, non hardend "STOCK CHAIN" or simular replacment will not last very long "AGREE " :D

But what I am saying is, you can save a whole lotta bucks and buy a case hardend O-ring, X-Ring or Toe-Ring chain :D , from a local bearing supply store or heavy equipment store and it will last the same amount of time as the renthal and 60 buck + if RC uses it it must be mine type chain.

Who do you think builds the heavy equipment chains. Hummmm Letme See DID, RK come to mind. WHat and ya think chains are exclusive to MoCycles :D

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• mike_dean

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:44 AM

An O-Ring chain will have slightly more drag, but from my experience will last at least 3 times longer, 114 links. mike

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.