can you fix a bent radiator?

11 replies to this topic
  • cassious

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:12 PM

i took a dirt sample and banged up my left radiator pretty bad. It doesnt leak, but I doubt it will do much good cooling the bike...

is there anyway I can pull it straight again without destroying it????

• robrob

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:17 PM

I don't think so, but you might as well go ahead and try.

• meeh350

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:34 PM

yes you can, i fixed three.... i still have two. None look very healthy but none the less they both work. Ussually they go from being square to a parallelagram... and sometimes twist...

i was gonna try to explain how to straighten them but there are so many possibilities i could be here all night.. tell me how it bent or post a picture and ill give you my suggestions

by the way, ive ran some REALLY bad radiators and my 02 still pulls holeshots in 250B class and never has boiled over in hot weather

• antman

Posted April 20, 2004 - 07:28 PM

I have a buddy thats really good at fixing them. He uses blocks of wood and soft jaws on a vice and just bangs softly on the outer seams and twists until straight. They can me fixed. Aluminum bends easy. It can be bent back. They look amost new again when he's done.

• qadsan

Posted April 20, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Check out Mylers Motorcycle Radiator Repair. I've never used them, but I've heard good things about them.

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

• dilyb

Posted April 20, 2004 - 09:47 PM

I HAVE used Mylers and recommend him highly. I bought Devol radiator guards for my '02 and found out one radiator was already bent (purchased used, couldn't have been me!) and the straight guard wouldn't fit! Sent the bent rad. off to Utah and for about $60 total it was back at my door straightened ... and the guard fits. Compared to a new unit, that worked for me. I believe the minimum price is about $40 but this one required more work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • meeh350

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:51 AM

I have a buddy thats really good at fixing them. He uses blocks of wood and soft jaws on a vice and just bangs softly on the outer seams and twists until straight. They can me fixed. Aluminum bends easy. It can be bent back. They look amost new again when he's done.

thats pretty much how i do it... just use that to start with.... you have nothing to loose... even had my one welded by a friend. for 60 bucks ill just go buy a new one...

• pritchard67

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:57 AM

I riged a 1/4 in. bolt through a dent puller and inserted in the holes on the side of the radiator then banged away.Depends how bad yours is but it is worth a try saved mine. :)

• mx_361

Posted April 21, 2004 - 04:31 AM

Here is a fix for radiators dented in the side that requires no banging. Just get a 2X4, some saftywire and a long piece of pipe. Place the 2X4 flat against the dented side. Thread the saftey wire through the fins and around the 2x4 and pipe and then turn the pipe while holding the 2X4 straight. It will slowly pull the dent out and if you are carefull it will look and work like new.

• CrDr

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:19 AM

you can also bring them to an automotive radiator shop, they can fix them like brand new.

• cassious

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:36 AM

Posted Image

• MikeYarbrough

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:37 AM

Here is a fix for radiators dented in the side that requires no banging. Just get a 2X4, some saftywire and a long piece of pipe. Place the 2X4 flat against the dented side. Thread the saftey wire through the fins and around the 2x4 and pipe and then turn the pipe while holding the 2X4 straight. It will slowly pull the dent out and if you are carefull it will look and work like new.

That sounds like a good idea...I'll try that one when I get home. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 ECU in 2012? by dayusmc

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 12 replies
Forums
Photo

05 crf450r top end by jlkroner

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf450 suspension by DHS_sponsored

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

Need help with 2013 crf450 motor by souliog

• Hot  75 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.