anyone with acerbis 3.2gal tank?

4 replies to this topic
  • wrooster

Posted May 22, 2001 - 03:00 PM

couple of questions--

a) does the acerbis 3.2gal tank extend so far down on the left side as to block access to the choke and hot start buttons? do you have any problems getting to the hot start quickly if you stall on the trail?

:) on the right side of the acerbis tank is there a small depression for the kickstarter to rest in, or is that just on the ty davis tank? where does the kickstarter end up on the acerbis unit? i wish acerbis had a pic on their web site of the left side while it's on the bike.

c) any other problems with the acerbis tank? how's the oil dipstick access?

thanks much,
the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• Tonydoor

Posted May 22, 2001 - 06:12 PM

Originally posted by wrooster:

couple of questions--

a) does the acerbis 3.2gal tank extend so far down on the left side as to block access to the choke and hot start buttons? do you have any problems getting to the hot start quickly if you stall on the trail?

:) on the right side of the acerbis tank is there a small depression for the kickstarter to rest in, or is that just on the ty davis tank? where does the kickstarter end up on the acerbis unit? i wish acerbis had a pic on their web site of the left side while it's on the bike.

c) any other problems with the acerbis tank? how's the oil dipstick access?

thanks much,
the wrooster
'01 wr250f

On the Acerbis tank both of the buttons are acessible, on the Ty Davis tank you have to buy the bar mounted hot start, and forget about using the choke button. The tank does have a depression for the kickstarter. No problems with the oil dipstick. Also they make at least two models that I know of. The 2001 takes a different one. Both of my friends have the acerbis. One is on a 99 and the other is on a 01, that's why I know they make two models. I have an IMS tank for sale that I had on a 99YZ. I sold the bike and bought a WR426. I'm currently looking for a stock YZ tank and I can live with the WR tank for my Baja and Desert rides. The IMS tank that I'm selling is natural in color and has about four desert rides on it. I would be willing to sell it for $100.00.

Hope this helps, and the only other thing with the Acerbis tank is you have to run the two pepcocks and fuel lines. Your kind of on your own as to the routing as the directions are real slim.

Thanks Tonydoor

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan_Hoof

Posted May 22, 2001 - 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Tonydoor:
On the Acerbis tank both of the buttons are acessible, on the Ty Davis tank you have to buy the bar mounted hot start, and forget about using the choke button. The tank does have a depression for the kickstarter. No problems with the oil dipstick. Also they make at least two models that I know of. The 2001 takes a different one. Both of my friends have the acerbis. One is on a 99 and the other is on a 01, that's why I know they make two models. I have an IMS tank for sale that I had on a 99YZ. I sold the bike and bought a WR426. I'm currently looking for a stock YZ tank and I can live with the WR tank for my Baja and Desert rides. The IMS tank that I'm selling is natural in color and has about four desert rides on it. I would be willing to sell it for $100.00.

Hope this helps, and the only other thing with the Acerbis tank is you have to run the two pepcocks and fuel lines. Your kind of on your own as to the routing as the directions are real slim.

Thanks Tonydoor

I'll take that tank. Email me and we can sort the details.

Thanks Bryan

• ecarlson

Posted May 23, 2001 - 04:31 AM

If Bryan isn't interested, email me the details as I would also be interested.

• Michael

Posted May 23, 2001 - 03:18 PM

Picyutres are worth 1000 words (more than that at the speed I type!)

http://albums.photop...uence=0&res=med

as you can see you can get to the hot start, but it was a little tight so I have now gone to the Ty Davis Hot Start. Choke is more restricted but still reachable - not really an issue given when and how often you have to use it. Here is the other side:

and a shot of the very cool filler:

As you can see, I have the Scott's damper....the tank plus the damper makes the dip stick tight - not unworkable - but not easy. That about covers your questions I think - over all, I love this tank and the seat combo! The narrow tank and flatter seat is a real improvement!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.