'03 XR650L, Excessive oil consumption and oil sludge in airbox, Help!

2 replies to this topic

Posted April 20, 2004 - 10:31 AM

Hello all, This is my first post although I have "lurked" here for awhile getting tons of useful information. Anyway, I have a '03 XR650L with 1700 miles that is using TONS of oil (like a quart every 200 miles, no exagerration!)Dealer says it's "normal" for this bike to use oil, but yesterday I took off my airbox cover and found lots of oil sludge in the airbox, like it had somehow leaked out of the carburator. The bike is stock except for the removal of the smog stuff, removal of the airbox restrictors and removal of the exhaust pipe baffle. Pulled the plug and it doesn't appear to be oil fouled. &%$#@!???? Any ideas? TIA

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dual_Dog

Posted April 20, 2004 - 05:38 PM

No visible leaks? No smoke out the exhaust? It's either spewing out somewhere or being burned in the cylinder or getting past the cylinder into the case (bad rings or valve guides), or but you'd notice any of these.

Have you taken the blow-by hose off the back of the case while its running to check the (oily) vapors coming out? The oil pressure could be too high due to an obstruction somewhere.

Using about 1/4 - 1/2 qt. every 1000 miles would be considered more or less "normal."

Is the bike still under warranty? Should be. You don't have to have the bike serviced where you bought it. Get another opinion. Another dealer (should) can make the proper diagnosis & necessary repairs. Call around. That's not really "normal" at all.

Good luck.

• Buckarmadillo

Posted April 20, 2004 - 06:22 PM

The "Dog" has a good idea. Take it to another dealer. That is WAY too much oil use. Now don't take this wrong...but are you overfilling the oil tank? If it is overfull, it will dump oil excessively.

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.