first post and first oil change

2 replies to this topic
  • scrubsr1

Posted April 20, 2004 - 08:15 AM

Just bought a new 450 and was refered to this site by a friend of mine. Hope you're all patient with me, this is my first fourstroke. I recently broke in my bike and it's time for it's first oil change. My question is whether or not it's safe to use aftermarket oil filters rather than the stock yamaha filter? My local dealer wants $12 for the yamaha brand or I can get an aftermarket for $5 at a performance bike shop in town. I'm not sure of the brand, I'll give them a call and post it after work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted April 20, 2004 - 09:09 AM

First of all Welcome to TT! I would personally always use a stock filter unless I had purchased a Scott's reusable filter. As often as we change oils in these bikes the cheap one probably wouldnt matter, but I wouldnt risk it myself. 12 bucks every month or so depending on how much you ride is cheap insurance. Cya :)

• TimFurryBalls

Posted April 20, 2004 - 09:45 AM

Get the cheaper one. I buy $3 filters online and they're all the same, just not oem. The filters I've bought are Hi-Flo filters. They're so cheap you can literally change your filter every or every other ride. Now that's clean oil!

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.