front brake line dillema

3 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted May 18, 2002 - 07:07 AM

i want to swap my stock brake line to a braided stainless brake line. what brand do u reccomend? do u realy think there is any different feel between the cr routing style and the regular yz style if ill move to a better company front brake line?
i have a dsp carbon fork guards and i dont want to ruin anything with the cr style.....

• Uncle_Rich

Posted May 18, 2002 - 08:38 AM

gal
I used a Fastline CR style front brake line on my YZ426
I though the fit was very poor but the brake feel with the steel braded line is much better

Rich

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted May 18, 2002 - 02:53 PM

Gal,

The big players are Fastline and Ride Engineering.

Review both and decide what is best given your current configuration.

In nearly all cases, you'll have to take what they provide and modify them further to fit your configuration or riding demands. For example, I safety wire the joints between covers and line since they like to separate. I also use to run a special cover over certain areas on the some of the older designs. Now they do it for you.

And in nearly all cases, it's best to lay the clamp on the fork cover down, not up. This stresses the fork cover less, which keeps it from tearing off. Most rider's haven’t clued into this fact, but DSP did when they revised they fork covers.

So, does a CR route really matter? Does stainless steel or Kevlar feel different? The answer is yes, and in my book, anything you can do for better brakes is always worth it. However, there's nothing worst than getting on someone's bike that has this setup only to feel a spongy lever because they never installed or maintain it correctly.

So don't waste your money unless you're going to do it right.

Best of luck!

DaveJ

• therapture

Posted May 19, 2002 - 05:12 AM

My bike, I simply aded an oem style braided line from Moose Racing. I also run DP Pro MX brake pads, higher friction than even the Honda pads.
With careful bleeding, these brakes ARE as good as a Honda. I know this because I ride my pals CRF's and I was pleasantly surprised to find there was no noticeable difference in the front brake anymore. Stock, my front brake sucked.

The whole thing about the CR routing is really a moot point. The braided line and pads are the key. If you have a non-flexing brake line that transfers all of the fluid pressure to the caliper, the minor length difference between oem style and CR style does NOT make any difference.

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: therapture ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.