why does everyone buy new triple clamps?

5 replies to this topic
  • joecallan

Posted December 08, 2000 - 12:46 PM

why does everyone buy new triple clamps?
just for bigger Handle bars? or for scotts stablizer?

what's a good handle bar? renthal? protaper?

• MS

Posted December 08, 2000 - 01:02 PM

After riding my bike (98 WR) and reading the files here on TT, I decided that I was riding with the handle bars in my lap, especially when I stand up... I bought the triple clamps to move the bars forward vs. stock and to raise them about 1.5 inches, this way when I ride standing up, which I do alot of in my enduros, I will be more comfortable with operation of my brake and throttle, not to mention my clutch... I guess I could have found a Triple clamp off of a 99-00 model, but I went after market.

• Taffy

Posted December 08, 2000 - 01:28 PM

just to clarify things, it's only this year '00 that the clamps were changed, & the bars moved forwards.

it's the old story my friend, go & buy just the clamps & stay where you are? or get the scotts?

in my opinion you should buy a top clamp that moves the protapers forward.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted December 08, 2000 - 03:35 PM

Most of us bought new triple clamps in order to open up the ergonomics. The after market TCs allow for multiple fore/aft mounting positions. On my KX500 the bar mounts are removable so I only needed new bar mounts to accomplish the same thing.

You do not have to replace the upper TC to mount a Scotts steering damper - sometimes it's just an easier/cleaner set up.

Scotts Performance makes a set - top & bottom - of clamps that change the '98 & '99 steering geometry - rake, I believe - to match that of the '00 bikes. The Scotts clamps are supposed to seriously improve the turning ability of a pre '00 YZ or WR.

Of course, there are those folks that buy new TCs just to have billet CNC'd stuff on their bike :) or because that's what McGrath or Pastrana has :D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 09, 2000 - 11:58 AM

They buy them because a magazine said "THESE THINGS ARE THE COOLEST!!"

• MS

Posted December 10, 2000 - 04:15 PM

I will let you know the difference of new TC vs. Stock, it should be in this week??

Need to get ready for second half of SETRA enduro season, I guess my 12oz.curl workouts will have to stop for now...

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.