heavier flywheel??

16 replies to this topic
  • yznvegas

Posted May 17, 2002 - 05:16 PM

Hi everyone.

What benifit would you see from a heaver flywheel. I would think a lighter flywheel would let the engine rev faster but I have seen mention of people using them on trail bike?

• tychris

Posted May 17, 2002 - 06:30 PM

A heavier flywheel will increase your traction and make the bike harder to stall.It does make the bike rev slower but,most peaple never notice that part of it.It does not take any power away from the bike as some peaple might say it just revs slower.To me it almost seems like it has more power since it hooks up and goes better,I even use it on my bike when I race motocross.I use a 10 o.z. on my 02 YZ 426.I must say though that pro motocrossers and such usally don't like them because they say they notice the bike revving slower.

• yznvegas

Posted May 18, 2002 - 07:52 AM

When you say it doesn't stall as easily, what do you mean? Do you mean like low speeds in 2nd gear? I just feather my clutch when I get in a situation like that.

• Mark_UK

Posted May 18, 2002 - 08:42 AM

yznvegas

i can drag my back brack into turns, without clutch and it still wont stall.
my bike is faster now cus of the flywheel weight ,, less wheel spin = more traction

i spent 1 year thinking about it Just do it

• YZ400Court

Posted May 18, 2002 - 08:45 AM

With a heavier flywheel there is more inertia in the motor, more rotating mass. It does not rev as fast, nor does it drop revs as fast. The extra weight keeps the engine spinning at lower speeds.

• MANIAC998

Posted May 19, 2002 - 02:39 AM

I put a WR lighting coil and flywheel on mine, which is heavier. And I must say I love it! The only drawbacks are in mud or sand. In those circumstances, when I shut the throttle off, the front gets way heavy and tries to knife in. I still carry my YZ one around, and it only takes minutes to switch between the two. Strangly though, I don't remember ever switching back to the YZ one!

• Dansgarage

Posted May 19, 2002 - 12:15 PM

I have a 2001 with a 14oz flywheel weight and I am switching to a wr set up to make my bike street legal. I am thinking about selling it on e-bay but will sell it to you if you are interested. I paid $150 for the kit, $50 to install. You could keep your stock one the way it is for racing and use this one in the woods. I'll sell it for $200 plus shipping.

• yznvegas

Posted May 19, 2002 - 06:16 PM

You paid $150 for it and you'll sell it to me for $200, gee thanks a lot???? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dansgarage

Posted May 19, 2002 - 08:33 PM

Try reading the whole message next time! The kit cost $150 You are going to have to pay someone at least $50 to install the thing, thats $200. On top of that you are geting a extra flywheel thats $122. So that adds up to $322 and I am willing to sell it for $200, soo GEE, I GUESS YOUR WELCOME!!!

• yznvegas

Posted May 20, 2002 - 05:11 AM

Dansgarage wrote: "I have a 2001 with a 14oz flywheel weight and I am switching to a wr set up to make my bike street legal. I am thinking about selling it on e-bay but will sell it to you if you are interested. I paid $150 for the kit, $50 to install. You could keep your stock one the way it is for racing and use this one in the woods. I'll sell it for $200 plus shipping."

Yznvegas: okay??? I read the WHOLE message this time and I still don't see where it says I am getting 2 flywheels?

dansgarage wrote: "I'll sell it for $200 plus shipping."

yznvegas: So you were going to come and intstall it for me for $200 because that is the price with installation right?

I am sure you meant well, but when your statements are clearly inferring one thing, don't try to come and say something completely different.

• wylie1

Posted May 20, 2002 - 05:54 AM

yznvegas after alot of research into flywheel weights, I ended up buying a steahly flywheel weight. This is a full weighted flywheel, no drilling and tapping necessary. They are listed for $200 but I had my dealer order mine, and I made them give me the usual 15% discount. Installation is very easy. If you don't like the flywheel weight, you can always put your old one back on and sell the steahly one for $250. and make fifty bucks. :) Here is the link to the steahly website:

http://www.steahlyof...log/index.shtml

• yznvegas

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:01 AM

Hey, thanks wylie, that is a great link. What weight did you end up buying and why?

I have a 95 RMX I bought for $1700 and since you are cool, I'll sell it for $2,700. (That includes installation) :) :D :D

• Hick

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:37 AM

Originally posted by yznvegas:
I read the WHOLE message this time and I still don't see where it says I am getting 2 flywheels?

dansgarage wrote: "I'll sell it for $200 plus shipping."

yznvegas: So you were going to come and intstall it for me for $200 because that is the price with installation right?

I am sure you meant well, but when your statements are clearly inferring one thing, don't try to come and say something completely different.

Dude,

What Dansgarage meant was, the kit costs $150. He has installed it on his YZ flywheel, now he is buying a WR stator/flywheel to light his bike up. So he is selling you one (not two) YZ flywheel w/ weight installed for $200. That sounds fair to me.

Hope this clears that up…

• wylie1

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:46 AM

I went with the 12 oz. flywheel because I mostly trail ride and this is the size most of the trail riders were recommending. The motocrossers were going with the 10 oz.

About that RMX, I think I will pass on that. If I want to get screwed I will just go to a dealer. :) :D

• wylie1

Posted May 20, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Hick,

I did not see what dansgarage meant either. After looking at it, it doesnt seem like that bad of a deal.

• Dansgarage

Posted May 20, 2002 - 02:25 PM

hick-
Thanks for clearing things up for me. I didn't mean to foul anyone up, I thought that I was fairly clear with my statments. So if anyone wants to buy a stock 2001 flywheel with a 14oz. flywheel weight on it for $200 please let me know. I won't use it again and if I don't have to post it on E-bay that would save me a few bucks. Thanks all

• mike_dean

Posted May 21, 2002 - 01:56 AM

You can buy a steahly flywheelweight installed on a factory Yamaha flywheel for $199 plus shipping, brand new. No installation required. I have one. Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.