Oil Weight (Not type)

8 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted April 19, 2004 - 10:26 AM

I just got finished reading the "What's the best oil?" post and saw a ton of informative and useful information to consider but what I also saw was a wide range of oil weights being used. I hope it wasn't mentioned b/c if it was I missed it but how do you decide weight?

For me I have been using Castrol GTX 20W-50 just b/c it had the widest range of Temp but as much as it needs changing it seems like one could run a heavier summer oil and a lighter winter oil. The way I figure is just make sure the bike is warm in the winter before being hard on it?

For what its worth, I ride slower woods riding but have 13/50 gearing and I am sure its in the upper RPM's in the lower gears and with slower speeds means less cooling? The temps range from 28F in winter to 95F summer. So that was my reasoning for 20W-50

Should I vary it per season? Try another weight?

Looking forward to ya'lls help!
Thanks
JT

• qadsan

Posted April 19, 2004 - 11:04 AM

20W50 is a good range. You could run a 15W40. I ran a 15W40 for years with good results. Now I'm running a 5W40 full synthetic also with good results and my bike is sometimes used in outside temps from below freezing to over 100F in the SoCal, Nevada & AZ deserts depending on the time of year. You can certainly try another weight, but if your comfortable with what you're using and you're certain its working well for you, then my advice would be to stick with it. I would Not recommend a 0W30, 5W30, 10W30 or especially a 5W20 in a 'energy conserving' oil as that would be asking pushing your luck. The Delo 400 15W40 I was using had a pour point of -38F and a flash point of +448F which was well above & beyond the operating limits for my riding application. There's definitly many good choices out there when it comes to picking an oil for our bikes.

• xrbrp

Posted April 19, 2004 - 12:10 PM

I Have been using the Honda 20-50. Have you heard of any problems with the oil. cost per quart $3.00

• qadsan

Posted April 19, 2004 - 01:06 PM

Honda's GN4 should be fine for the 650R as long as Honda's recommended maintenance intervals are followed. If however you ever start to smell oil burning, then consider using Honda's more expensive HP4 synthetic product, but make sure you get the version 'without' moly. The GN4 might not be the best choice for something like an older XR250R that's run hard or used in the sand dunes where operating temperatures can rise significantly, but it should be good enough for our XR650R which appears to usually run significantly cooler engine oil temperatures than our XR250R.

A few years ago in the October 2000 Motorcycle Consumer News, the Honda GN4 oil was tested and it didn't hold it's viscosity or total base number as well as some of the other oils from what I recall, but it's been quite a while since I've looked at that article and I don't remember the specifics. If you want some jpg files of that article, send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig it up so you can see the specifics.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lencho

Posted April 20, 2004 - 05:30 AM

If you want some jpg files of that article, send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig it up so you can see the specifics.

Nerdy hint: for text articles or other graphics where line sharpness is a consideration, use gif or png, NOT jpg. Jpegs are better for photos and gradient-filled graphics.

--Larry

• qadsan

Posted April 20, 2004 - 06:03 AM

Thanks Larry, but that's just the way I received the articles in jpg format (not by my choice). If I had scanned them, I would have used portable document format so I could search the text, etc.

• Lencho

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Larry, but that's just the way I received the articles in jpg format (not by my choice). If I had scanned them, I would have used portable document format so I could search the text, etc.

Good point on the PDF. Say, pardon my ignorance, but what is the "land of gracious living"? Is that a state motto?

--Larry

• qadsan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 07:09 AM

It's more of a city motto where I live in Yorba Linda California. It really should be "land of pain in the butt rules & regulations" :)

• Lencho

Posted April 28, 2004 - 12:30 PM

It's more of a city motto where I live in Yorba Linda California. It really should be "land of pain in the butt rules & regulations" :thumbsup:

Uh, yeah. I have lived just enough time in SoCal to be able to say with some measure of authority: That place is... weird... ;>

--Larry

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.