Flywheel weight install?

10 replies to this topic
  • Cirus

Posted April 19, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Just ordered a 10oz. flywheel weight from ZipTy to calm my YZ450F down a little for trailriding. Is the installation something I can do or do I need to take it to my mechanic? I'm mechanically inclined but have'nt worked on bikes all that much.

• OC768

Posted April 20, 2004 - 02:17 AM

pretty straighforward IMHO, pop a cover, remove the wheel (w/puller), attach weight, re attach wheel to proper spec.

Will be a little easier if doing it with hand tools if you got that funky tool from ZipTy as well. I just used an impact wrench rated a few # shy of what was needed.

• RacerDad

Posted April 20, 2004 - 03:06 AM

Impact wrench helps alot.

• TonyDeCoster

Posted April 20, 2004 - 03:32 AM

I would never use an impact wrench to install a flywheel. :naughty:You can't accurately torque on the nut. It's not worth having it come loose and destroying your flywheel, stator or crankshaft. Buy a torquwrench, borrow one or bring it in...

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:55 AM

The last time I used an impact wrench to install a flywheel, I wound up with a new Crank.

Use a torque wrench instead !

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boostn

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:57 AM

yeah, I use torque wrench, but impact gun for removal. Don't need any other special tools.

• gonzo

Posted April 20, 2004 - 05:32 AM

How do you guys use a torque wrench on the flywheel nut? What are you using to hold it?

• Dano426

Posted April 20, 2004 - 08:30 AM

Go to a deal and ask for a univeral clutch tool. Around $22.00 I was looking for pics, but can't seem to find one. They look like a vise grips, that has to teeth one side for removing the clucth basket and two pins sticking out of the other side, with fit into the wholes on the fly wheel. Works great for both jobs. I will keep looking for pics

• Dano426

Posted April 20, 2004 - 08:30 AM

Go to a deal and ask for a univeral clutch tool. Around $22.00 I was looking for pics, but can't seem to find one. They look like a vise grips, that has to teeth one side for removing the clucth basket and two pins sticking out of the other side, with fit into the wholes on the fly wheel. Works great for both jobs. I will keep looking for pics

• John_H

Posted April 20, 2004 - 02:05 PM

I held mine with a strap wrench and in gear with the brake on. :)

• OC768

Posted April 20, 2004 - 06:23 PM

sorry, I should have stated a little more in detail how I did it, couldda caused some damage...

The impact helps immensely with removal tasks if you don't have the "right" tools. For install I set it with a butterfly impact wrench (60#) then did the brake trick as best as possible with the torque wrench.

At that point in time I was working with a beam indicator wrench, so using it to thread up to torque was a pain...thus the butterfly.

Have a earned redemption? I guess Ill wait till next week Ill discuss using my air hammer for spoke adjustments :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.