1998 YZ400

9 replies to this topic
  • B._Myers

Posted May 16, 2002 - 05:04 PM

Anyone have an opinion on the YZ400 as a woods bike?

I read, it's more MX designed, but just wondering how it would do on fireroads and sigle track.

I had a DRZ, but sold it...too much $$ to have sitting around, only getting rode twice a month. I have come across a YZ at a good price and was just wondering how woods wise it is.

Thanks for the replies,
B.

• YZ400Court

Posted May 16, 2002 - 06:22 PM

You have to get used to the lack of flywheel weight (it stalls easy), but I got used to it and have a blast in the woods and on the singletrack. The gearing is tall in first and second, but i geared it down and slip the clutch when it ets real tight. I have the enging apart now, and installed WR gears so I can gear it back up for better top speed.

• Thumpster

Posted May 16, 2002 - 06:31 PM

I guess it's up to the individual. Woods riding is all I do and I get around alright on my YZ. A little clutch abuse here and there :) My bike doesn't have an aftermarket flywheel weight. However it would be nice to have one. My sprockets are 15/51. I just pick my lines and try to keep the momentum going. It does get a little rough on the tight root filled climbing sectons. A WR model would work better, but the YZ gets me through. I do kill it once in awhile but I don't race, so I'm happy with my '98 in the woods.
Whatever that's worth!

Good Luck :D

• Mark_UK

Posted May 17, 2002 - 01:10 AM

10oz flywheel weight
14/50 gearing
WER stearing stabilizer

mine works pretty good in the woods.

the flywheel weight is by far the best thing ive done to it

• RIDEPATE

Posted May 17, 2002 - 05:06 AM

SAME HERE, mine will lug along great with the flywheel weight, and i can get along pretty good in the tight stuff, maybe a clutch slip every now and then but not often, i ride with some 250f's and although they stay with me in the tight stuff but when we hit the shortest of straights.......bye-bye!!!!!!!!!!!jimbo

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpster

Posted May 17, 2002 - 05:01 PM

Skiplo3,

Sounds great, Pm me your address and I'll pay shipping. Thank you! :)

• B._Myers

Posted May 17, 2002 - 05:23 PM

Well, I picked her up.... :D

Starting it, does take some getting used to. The compression release is not like any other bike I've owned. Much different that the 'zuki's, but I think I got it figured out.

No reserve or kickstand...now that'll be different. :)

ANyone know how to put an odometer on one...do the WR's have'm? Least like to be able to keep up with "gas mileage".

Thanks for the info. folks!!

B.

• Mark_UK

Posted May 18, 2002 - 08:49 AM

b myers slap a panoram computer on,,, job done

• RIDEPATE

Posted May 18, 2002 - 09:03 PM

LIKE mark said get the panoram, the wr does have a odo but youd need the hub with speedo gear drive which would be costly i'd think. jimbo

• B._Myers

Posted May 19, 2002 - 03:51 PM

What's this Panoram...and where do you get it?

What's it powered off of?

Thanks!!

B.

[ May 19, 2002: Message edited by: B. Myers ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.