FMF Powercore 4 pipes and decibal limits

10 replies to this topic
  • bloosman

Posted April 18, 2004 - 04:49 PM

I was told today by a Ranger that the FMF Powercore 4 pipe I am running on my 650 is over the 96 decibal California limit.. (not the bike i was riding today, btw). I'm going on the Sheetiron 300 in May and am told I need to be in compliance. I visited the FMF website, but saw nothing that would confirm that they make a tip that will bring it into limits. Anyone with experience on this matter?

• qadsan

Posted April 18, 2004 - 06:15 PM

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 18, 2004 - 07:48 PM

I think the Power Core 4 is a 98db muffler. I've been told that you can hush it up by updating it to the more recent Q version by replacing a baffle and a turned down tip. Contact Chris Finley at FMF and ask about part# 045022 (this # is for the 600R/650L - don't know if your is the same or not) FMF BULKHEAD/ENDCAP UPGRADE KIT P-CORE4 "Q" $40.95 :)

• jstevens

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:22 PM

What did you find out?? give us an update.

• bloosman

Posted April 22, 2004 - 06:10 PM

one order to FMF and ~ $70 later..

I called FMF.. I didn't get ahold of Chris.. I ordered the Powercore4 Quiet Core Insert - $24.99 and the Premiere Muffler Packing - $37.99. The sales girl i talked to said the Quiet Core Insert brought the sound down anywhere from 1 to 3 decibals, and that the Premier Packing was better for sound attenuation and longevity than their other packings. The Ranger had said the insert alone would bring the bike into conformity, but I figure the bike has 3+ years on it and why not change the packing at the same time. Should be here by Friday. I'll let you know what i find out after the ride, May 22, 23. I also have the PowerBomb header, which they say is better for sound.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted April 22, 2004 - 08:32 PM

If you can post a picture when you're done that would be way cool. :)

• jstevens

Posted April 25, 2004 - 03:28 AM

The other day I took off my PowerCore modular end cap and couldn't really see a way to "repack" or get to the "Packing". I did notice two wields. Is this a relativly straight forward process or is is tricky on the FMF PCIV?

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 25, 2004 - 04:55 AM

I haven't repacked mine yet but I think you need to remove the four front allen screws (around the circumference of the muffler)and slide it off towards the rear. There are instructions at the FMF site under tech support (I didn't see either of our bikes listed, but there were instructions for the XR400 - probably close enough in this case).

• bloosman

Posted April 25, 2004 - 06:18 PM

This is the FMF instructions for my muffler, which appears to be the same as yours. At the bottom it talks about re-packing the muffler, and refers to the allen bolts at the FRONT of the muffler, and says to NOT remove the endcap. My parts are in, and my son and I will be re-doing our mufflers tomorrow night, will keep you posted and attach pics. (if I remember to take my camera)

Also, I see you are using the dualstar mirrors. How do you like them? I just ordered some for my bike.

take care,

John :)

• bloosman

Posted May 29, 2004 - 06:04 AM

Well, we installed the kits and the sheetiron 300 is over now. The day we installed the quiet cores and new packing, I remembered to bring the beer and forgot the camera, go figure.

The quiet cores and packing did a remarkable job of quieting the bikes, and I don't notice much power loss, though my son claims he does. The Sheetiron 300 was a great ride, btw. Take care :thumbsup:

• AzMtnThumper

Posted May 29, 2004 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the update bloosman! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.