yzf 450 cam mod

13 replies to this topic
  • mtewoodsracer

Posted April 18, 2004 - 04:37 PM

I just did the cam mod on my 02 yzf426. The bike runs great but when I start it the bike backfires just as the engine starts. any thoughts on this anyone. Thanks Mack

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 18, 2004 - 05:42 PM

Check the timing of the cams -- NOT THE TIMING MARKS -- but the position of the cam lobes.

Then recheck your valve clearances on BOTH cams.

• mtewoodsracer

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:37 PM

Can anyone give me the correct number of links or pins on the chain that should be between the marks on the spockets?

I know that there is directions but didn't take the time to look. I used the direction that were posted with the two pics showing how to time it by looking at the cams on the right side of the bike. (Exaust side of the bike) If anyone can post them or send to my email I would appreciate it. Mack

• Satch0922

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:39 PM

Here is a pic...I was too lazy to count the links for you
Posted Image

• fatmancantfly

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:59 PM

Make sure the crank sprocket is on the I mark, it's just to the right on the H mark on the flywheel. Set the intake cam as stock (same in picture above) and count the pins in between the top timing mark on the intake cam and the top timing mark on the exhaust cam. 14 pins, not links!
After you set the timing marks. Release the tensioner, check the crank timing mark to make sure it's on the I mark and then look at the right side of the cams. They should look to be at the same opposing angle. Go ride!

• mtewoodsracer

Posted April 20, 2004 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I was off by one tooth. 13 pins the thing starts soo easy now. I will let you know how it runs wednesday night. Thanks Mack :)

• Yamahopper

Posted April 21, 2004 - 08:52 AM

13 Pins? Are you sure you installed the YZ cam and not the WR cam? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tctrailrider

Posted April 21, 2004 - 10:15 AM

I completed the 450 cam mod. a couple of weeks ago. It starts great once warm but 20 kicks when cold. I have opened it up several times rechecking the installation and clearances. My intake cam is 1/2 tooth off from Satches pictures. The punch marks are not parallel with the case at 3 and 9 oclock. I have run it with 14 pins (1/2 tooth clockwise) and with 13 pins (1/2 tooth counter clockwise) Seems to run the same with either setting. I have ordered a new cam chain, thinking it may be streched. Only about 1,000 miles on the bike. Runs great either way but tough to start when cold. Any ideas?

• Satch0922

Posted April 21, 2004 - 02:42 PM

Funny you ask...mine was getting kinda cranky when cold and would take 5-10 kicks. I did a thorough carb cleaning and it starts first kick when cold. I cleaned mine and installed a fuel filter this time.

As far as the timing...don't want to sound like a know it all but the pic above is absolutely the correct timing. If yours looks different there is a problem.

• YZFan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Is there a shim kit you can get for these or do you have to measure then order your shim?????

• Satch0922

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:02 PM

the shims are kind of expensive ($3-5 each) so best thing to do (I know it's a pain) is to install the cam...measure the clearances and use the shop manual to determine what shims you need. Then get the ones you need at the dealer...install them and the cam and recheck. YOu should be right on the money. Then you can finish the install. If you don't have the shop manual check Motoman's site ..here is the link: Shop Manual
If you need info on how the check the valve clearances (I used these instructions along with the Cam Mod PDF to complete mine) here is the link to Garrett's instructions ; Adjusting YZF's Valves

• yamaha.dude

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:02 PM

each engine is different, so you have to measure your clearances and work out what shims you need after the 450 cam is in for a trial fit...

Cheers,

David

• cowboyona426

Posted April 22, 2004 - 09:21 AM

Some dealers will let you swap your old shims for new ones as well, that's what I did when I installed my 450 cam :)

• mtewoodsracer

Posted April 22, 2004 - 05:16 PM

My last post read the wrong way. I had it at 13 pins. Now I moved it to 14 and the bike runs great. starts cold or hot. I wish I had done this mod a long time ago. To all thanks for your help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.