Bent Rim-Repair or Replace?

10 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted May 16, 2002 - 06:24 AM

I let my neighbor ride my bike around the back of our development where new houses are about to go up. He got out of control and went across the street and ran into the curb...then up into the field. He didnt crash, but the front rim bent from the curb impact. The tire is still holding air but when rotated on the stand, the rim is way out of round. The bend is also visible when not rotating and looking at it from the side. None of the spokes seem to be bent though.
My questions are:
1. Can a bent rim be repaired?
2. How tough is it to lace a new rim? Is it worth doing yourself with no rim lacing experience?
3. Does anybody know where to buy a new excel rim for less than $95.00?
4. Does anybody want to trade a front wheel for a stock 01 exhaust?
5. What color should i get? I have an orange/blue 426...Im thinkin now is the time to get gold excels.
6. Has anyone polished there hubs to a shiny finish?

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: flyinguitars ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 16, 2002 - 08:56 AM

Bend the back one just oppistite of where the bedn is in the front.. That will even things out and stabilize the bike :)

• Hick

Posted May 16, 2002 - 09:05 PM

1. Sometimes. I’ve had luck loosening all the spokes an equal amount of turns and then retruing. If it has an easily visible/noticeable flat spot you are probably going to need a new rim as I don’t think you can reliably straighten that type of damage.
2. I’ve never laced a motorcycle wheel, but I’ve done several bicycle wheels in my day, and from that experience am willing to pay my local gear shop $60 to lace one for me. It can be done in your garage but I’m sure it would be a frustrating experience on your first attempt (insert disclaimer about mechanically gifted savants here).
3. I think a new Excel front rim (no spokes or hub) ran me about $100, but it may have been more than that, and my local gear supplier is always very inexpensive.
4. Not me.
5. I’ve not seen golds, but the black and blue ones I’ve seen seemed to scratch easily, I talked myself out of black rims because of this.
6. The problem w/ polishing is it never lasts. Before too long the shine will fade and you will want to touch them up, problem is, in this case, you would have to disassemble first. Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t bother.

Sorry about your neighbor, hope this helps.

• Victor_Delgadillo

Posted May 16, 2002 - 09:11 PM

you can buy one at there are about 99.00 each and you can chose any color...!!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 16, 2002 - 09:18 PM

Unless you have a truing stand and all the proper tools I.E. dial indicators and such. I would not attempt to do this i the garage. Hick is right for someting lie that either buy a new one or get a new rim laced up.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle111

Posted May 16, 2002 - 10:25 AM

if you get new excels get blue.check them out Posted ImagePosted Image

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: freestyle111 ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 16, 2002 - 01:40 PM

Freestyler, you've got an awfully pretty motorcycle there. Ive never noticed anyone with blue fork gaurds before, I like em' :)

• Mike_Nyquist

Posted May 16, 2002 - 02:48 PM

get the blue rims

• dmxracing

Posted May 16, 2002 - 04:40 PM

I agree, get the blue rims. I bought my bike used a couple months ago and it came with blue rims, at first I thought it would be toooo blue but it looks trick and people at the track say it looks bitchin plus it is kinda original cuz everyone already has black and gold rims...

• Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted May 16, 2002 - 07:51 PM

I laced up my own rims an it wasn't that hard. It'll save you about 60 bucks each wheel. Then all you have to do is pay 75 bucks or so each wheel to have them trued. I think I am gonna get blue rims next time too.

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: mxrider426 ]

• grashoper250

Posted May 16, 2002 - 08:01 PM

Make your neighbor buy the rim.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.