Any 2002 YZ426 Broken Shock Linkages?

5 replies to this topic
  • MX974

Posted May 16, 2002 - 03:28 AM

Yesterday I landed off a jump somewhat hard and went into the next turn like a low rider. Glad there wasn't another jump right after that one!!! The linkage piece that bolts to the frame broke around the shaft that bolts to the frame. I was curious if anyone elso has had this problem. Just trying to decide if it is a design flaw or a defective part. Since the new bike has only six rides on it, do you think Yamaha would warranty it? I would check yours for cracks!!!!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 16, 2002 - 07:02 AM

Its gotta be a bad part. Ive never heard of that before. But hey, who the hell am I? :)

• Hick

Posted May 16, 2002 - 08:53 AM

I've seen the shock bolt back out and put a nice crease in the side of that part, but it doesn't sound like that is what caused yours to break.

How long have you had the bike? Have you ever greased the bearings?

As for your dealer (or Yamaha) helping you out w/ the part, it won't hurt to try, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That part runs about seventy bucks, not counting the twenty or so you will probably spend on bearings (which I think need to be pressed in) and seals.

Sorry about your bike, hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX974

Posted May 16, 2002 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I bought the bike last February and with midwest winters and all this rain lately, I have only ridden the bike five times. Looking at the part closer it appears that the hole that the frame bolt goes in is not centered in the linkage forging. In other words the edge distance from the hole to the outside of the forging is thick on one side and thin on the other, It broke on the thin side. There was grease in it and the bolt was tight.

The local Yamaha shop is going to talk to Yamaha about it to see if they might warranty it.

I could post a picture of it if someone is interested and could let me know how to do it.

• grashoper250

Posted May 16, 2002 - 08:16 PM

That's wierd, usually other things break on hard landings, but not the linkage. Sounds like you showed your dealer - good job. I would like to see some pictures of that.

• MX974

Posted May 17, 2002 - 04:33 PM

I talked to the dealer today and Yamaha is going to replace the part, seals and bushings. That is great that they are standing behind it! I was lucky it broke in an area in the track that didn't have a second double right after this one and cause me to have a serious crash!

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.