backfire sreen???????????????

35 replies to this topic
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:58 AM

I run with my screen and yes I have had it backfire after laying the bike over. It never touched my filter, all was well. I believe in the screen. :)

• bigtom17

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:36 AM

I am curious, is this a problem with stock carbs only or has this happened with pumper carbs as well????

• TimBrp

Posted April 21, 2004 - 06:45 AM

OLDMAN didn't you tell me that this is an issue with the float level also pertaining to the backfiring?

• qadsan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 07:14 AM

I'd imagine it could happen with any carb, but its probably less likely with the Edelbrock only because I can lay my bike down completely on its side and it still runs fine where as my stock carb would cut out and the bike would stall and then fuel would run out from the vent tubes.

• jws

Posted April 21, 2004 - 02:45 PM

I am curious, is this a problem with stock carbs only or has this happened with pumper carbs as well????

i am running an edelbrock/quicksilver

jeff :)

• qadsan

Posted April 21, 2004 - 03:19 PM

Jeff, was the air filter soaked in fuel from smelling it or was fuel spilling out the vent tubes when the bike went on its side? Or was it that fuel spilled into the intake and then it ignighted & backfired or??? One guy I talked to said his plastic sidepanel & riding pants actually melted during a similar incident. Good thing it was just the filter that got charred.

• jws

Posted April 21, 2004 - 05:31 PM

Jeff, was the air filter soaked in fuel from smelling it or was fuel spilling out the vent tubes when the bike went on its side? Or was it that fuel spilled into the intake and then it ignighted & backfired or???

i dont know :D it all happened so quick - the wind was howling pretty good - my buddy picked up his bike started it and rode off - i kicked mine once or twice and poof i could see smoke and flames coming out the holes in my airbox - the bike was on its side for about 10 minutes - i didnt even think about the gas running out - this was my first trip out with the QS carb - so i am not sure what happened all i know is i put the screen back in :D

as far as the edelbrock goes - best money i ever spent :) its like a new bike :D :usa: :usa:

jeff :D

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 21, 2004 - 07:15 PM

TimBrp, yes it can be a float problem. Quite often is. Maybe I need to reread why he was asking the question. I have not yet had this happen with my new pumper carb. I rarely had it with my stock carb once all the adjustments were right including the float level being changed to shut the fuel off sooner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HondaXR650R

Posted February 04, 2005 - 08:42 PM

According to the instructions for the K&N air filter for the XR650R, which BTW is the filter Johnny Campbell races with... :cry:

---------------------------

1. Remove stock filter and screen according to the owner's manual.

2. Clean air filter sealing groove in airbox.

3. Using the sealing grease provided, apply a thick even layer throughout the air filter sealing groove.

4. Re-install filter back into the airbox making sure that the filter is properly situated.

The K&N air filter replaces both the stock (foam) air filter and (metal) backfire screen. :cry:

The backfire screen will not even fit :cry: with a K&N air filter installed, so you obviously don't need a backfire screen if you're running a K&N air filter. :cry:

• jws

Posted February 04, 2005 - 09:32 PM

i started this post a while back and did run the backfire screen for a while :cry: but i stopped using it for the last 6 months or so because i thought my airbox seeled better without it - i run a UNI filter :cry:

after reviewing what happenend when i roasted my filter - i now make sure the bike stays on 2 wheels all the time and i dont let it fall anymore :cry:

Jeff :cry:

• qadsan

Posted February 04, 2005 - 10:01 PM

...which BTW is the filter Johnny Campbell races with... :cry: ...

Did he switch air filters? I was under the impression from talking with team Honda members and from reading articles that they use the stock air filter :cry:

Here's a a clip from one of a couple articles I've read where this is mentioned...

"An HRC Power-Up Kit (available through all Honda Dealers, Part Number 06130-NLB-010) is the star of this show, but many times the team will elect to use only a portion of the kit. The kit’s heavy-duty clutch springs, cam chain (plus corresponding sprockets and tensioner), high-performance cam and appropriate jetting (as well as additional breather holes in the airbox cover—though the stock filter and backfire screen are retained) are used for all events. The kit also includes specs for an exhaust system, and Pro Circuit’s full T4 system complies and is used by the team. "

Here's the link to the article directly from the Honda web site...

http://www.hondaredr...013d670&Type=OR

If you ride in the talc beds in Baja or in fine powdery dirt / silt, make sure to check your airbox just incase as there's been more than one person here who has found particulate in their airbox.

• jws

Posted February 04, 2005 - 10:08 PM

According to the instructions for the K&N air filter for the XR650R, which BTW is the filter Johnny Campbell races with... :devil:

1. Remove stock filter and screen according to the owner's manual.

2. Clean air filter sealing groove in airbox.

3. Using the sealing grease provided, apply a thick even layer throughout the air filter sealing groove.

4. Re-install filter back into the airbox making sure that the filter is properly situated.

The K&N air filter replaces both the stock (foam) air filter and (metal) backfire screen. :cry:

The backfire screen will not even fit :cry: with a K&N air filter installed, so you obviously don't need a backfire screen if you're running a K&N air filter. :cry:

are you running a R or a L your other questions have been about a XR650L :devil: :cry: :cry:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=214740

• frankstr

Posted February 05, 2005 - 05:38 AM

No I don't use the screen....
Haven't had any problems yet.......
If it gets flooded that bad where it might backfire ,Remove the filter and let it dry,Ya don't need tools and it would only take a couple of minutes

• VelvetHog

Posted February 07, 2005 - 07:34 AM

It seems to me that it may be difficult to get the airfilter to seal properly without the backfire screen in? The seal seems nebulous at best even with the screen in. My $.02.

• Mikie1

Posted February 07, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I agree- it's very difficult to tell if you've got it sealed. I ran the Uni with their metal plate & greased the heck out of the rim and the edge of the filter- then wiped off the excess grease after I got the filter "seated". I had no problem with dust getting around the edges as far as I could tell- but a LOT of really fine white dust went right through the filter. The back (airboot) side of the element was almost as dirty as the inlet side. That was using spray-on NoToil. I put the stock filter & screen back in, using NoToil again (the pour-on kind) and didn't have any dust get past. I didn't notice any difference in performance.

• Troy_Bell

Posted February 07, 2005 - 12:34 PM

I run both the K&N and the UNI filter. Obviously when running the K&N, the backfire screen must be removed. In my opinion, the K&N "breathes" better even with less open air paths and I feel a very slight advantage in performance. However, in extremely dusty conditions, I would rather use the UNI. With the UNI, I use the backfire screen for no other reason than I feel it supports the filter better. With both filters oiled up as specified in the instructions, I always find more fine dust attached to the walls of the airbox with the K&N. After a rain, as in the High Desert 250 a couple of weeks ago, I ran the K&N because there was virtually no dust, and I think it runs a bit better. Just my 2-cents worth.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.