Tire Pressure ??

16 replies to this topic
  • Unibomber

Posted May 15, 2002 - 09:40 PM

What should I be running for tire pressure, im at 6500 feet, ride on hard a** Nevada dirt and rock. The manual states 15psi is the standard(02'yz426). Stock tires, front is d739fa, rear is 739g.

Just checked'em and the front had 20psi and the rear had 25psi, neither of which is the standard as stated in the manual page 3-41.

What do ya think ??

• Hick

Posted May 15, 2002 - 09:44 PM

Wow. How's she handle?

I typically run about 12 psi, but there are not many rocks in my riding area. If I'm riding an area or racing a course w/ lots of rocks I'll go all the way up to 16 up front and 18 in back. That is the most I have ever run, and in sandy conditions I don't like it at all but I figure it beats getting a pinch flat.

Hope this helps.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 15, 2002 - 09:47 PM

at 650000 foot the exapnsion of the air is so thin that 300PSI should do

If below sea level a good long snorkle is a must

15 - 17 psi depending on your traction
Traction = depending on how the bike is handling.

I would def say no less then 15

[ May 15, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 15, 2002 - 09:51 PM

On the blue groove track that I usually ride, I found that 14 in the k490 in front and 17 in the k695 I ran seemed to work the best. I was out the other day on my new 756's front and back, and ended up at 17 on the front and 20 in the back. The rule of thumb is hard tracks/terrain need hard tires. If your trail riding, you might want to go a little stiffer to prevent pinch flats.

• yznvegas

Posted May 15, 2002 - 10:15 AM

My dealer sent me home with my bike set at 15 up front and 25 in the back tire. I rode a couple of times and noticed the bike was wandering all over the trail. I checked to pressure and couldn't believe how much air was in the back tire. DOHHH :)

• Unibomber

Posted May 15, 2002 - 10:24 AM

Dude, I knew it(well if i knew i wouldnt of asked), that rear tire has been all over the place, I figured it was just the lean mean 426, but im sure that 25psi in the rear is not helping matters, ill drop it down to 15 and see what happens,

Thanks everone for your input. :)

And that snorkel suggestion will come in handy the way I ride. :D

• twej

Posted May 15, 2002 - 01:42 PM

Dont forget that as the air temperature changes, so does the air pressure in our tires. The warmer the air outside, the higher our tire pressure goes and the opposite for colder air. For a morning race I'll set the tire pressure where I like it. But by the 2nd moto, I have to check it again if the air temperature has gone up.
My $.02

Wej

• cowboyona426

Posted May 15, 2002 - 01:56 PM

Uni- last time I checked I had 12 up front and 14 out back (I think). This setup works good for me on the trails I ride, keeps the thing going in a straight line. When I bought my bike, I had a lot of probs with the front end scattering all over the place- the bike was really squirrely and hard to keep going down the trail straight. So one day I whipped out the pressure guage and checked my tires- 35 pounds in each tire!!! I don't know which idiot at the dealer did that, but I wasn't too happy about it. At first I thought it was just me not being used to the bike, but then I smartened up. Anyway, that what I run, try it and see if it works for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Unibomber

Posted May 15, 2002 - 02:42 PM

Sweet, I put the front and rear both at 15psi and Ill see what that brings, but with the rear being at 25psi from the dealer its no wonder the rear end was slippery.

35psi is insane, someone at the dealer-ship had a lunch time natural light attack, yikes.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

• motousa

Posted May 15, 2002 - 03:16 PM

Hey man. On the hard a** tracks here in CO I run between 14-15 front and rear. On intermediate i will run 16 to push through the sand to the hard stuff. And on sand I will run down to 12 psi. Dont be too afraid to run a soft pressure. If you use a high quality ( I ALWAYS buy the heavy duty tubes) tube you can get away with this. It will allow the tire to do more gripping on the track instead of sliding when it is at a low pressure....hope it helps...

• DaveJ

Posted May 15, 2002 - 03:33 PM

Uni-B,

Altitude does not play a factor in tire pressure, unless you change altitude after the tire is set.

And I'm very surprised by all the high pressures. If I go over 12lbs (tire warmed) things get slippery. D756s by the way.

The book says as low as 8, (which I would assume is for sand).

And you'll never get a tire from a dealer or service shop that is set to perfect pressure. That's your job. It's not necessarily a bad reflection on their work.

Experiment.

DaveJ

• DPW

Posted May 15, 2002 - 04:30 PM

When I got my '02 from the dealer the tire pressure was 25psi. I usually run between 12-14psi depending on the track or trails.

• Unibomber

Posted May 15, 2002 - 05:03 PM

uh, 25psi seems to be the common thread to dealer psi settings, interesting. Well im hopin starting at 15 will help me stop slidin so much, its a rare find to come across soft terrain in my area, unless your playin at the gravel pits, (thats why I foul plugs, damn it !!!) :)

• freestyle111

Posted May 15, 2002 - 07:07 PM

14 in both front and rear.use heavy duty tubes they dont pinch as easy.you'll neveer get good traction in nevada desert with 20psi in rear.and front end will wash out too easy on hard pack with more than 17psi.if you dont know what your tire pressure should be, im sure you wont be riding fast enough to pinch tube on a rock.

• SealClubber

Posted May 15, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Don't you need about 40 psi to set the beads? That might be why the tires from the dealer have such high pressure. I run 14 front and 13 rear with HD tubes and slime. Haven't had a problem yet.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 16, 2002 - 01:54 AM

The reason the tire pressurs are so high from the dealers is this
1: Need to be able to read a preasure gage
2: Need ti know how to operate a air hose
3: they come from the factory that way

It is correct to set the beads the tire preasur is in and about 40psi

remember this is a assembly line bike ???

Never never NEVER just take the bike homne and assume the dealer did the prpr work you pay for.

In reality the prep work is supposed to be
Oil Change, Tire presure, Nuts / Bolts re-torqued and so on.

The dealerships do not do this at all. but YOu Pay For it............

:)

• yznvegas

Posted May 16, 2002 - 05:16 AM

Ego, I am laughing my ass off about that air hose thing. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.