Another Friday the 13th Ride

58 replies to this topic
  • sirhk

Posted July 13, 2001 - 06:39 PM

Well, I'm going to have to say that today's rider officially kicked my ass. I didn't even make it to the 15/10 intersection and I had to pull over and puke. I would have to say I was a little dehydrated!! Great ride though!!! It was great to meet all of you and awesome to have such a great turn out. So, when are we doing it again? I'm ordering my larger tank this week so I don't have to ride with Ron's wide and tall couch setup!! Thanks for a fun day including the pain. See you all later

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted July 14, 2001 - 07:56 AM

So that's what that big haz-mat spill on the freeway was! You had traffic backed up for miles on the I-15. :)

Thanks guys for showing up. I had a great time. The heat/dust factor was as bad as I feared it would be, but I'll take that over being at work anytime, and we made it to the top despite it. Eighteen riders is a good turnout, and as always from here at Ttalk, all very cool people.

It was nice meeting you guys and I can't wait to do it again!

• PMAUST

Posted July 14, 2001 - 01:07 PM

Ron, hope you can make it one more time this Summer! I am really sorry I couldn't make it. Hope my two offspring(Brian and Jesse) didn't hold you back too much! :) If I give you plenty of advanced warning, think you'd be up for it again sometime in August or September? Thanks for letting them tag along. Paul

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted July 14, 2001 - 01:42 PM

Paul,

You pick the date. During the week is best - no traffic on the trail. Hopefully after a good rain or two. It was a pleasure meeting & riding with your boys. You should be proud of 'em, they are really nice guys.

:)

ps Did you see the pictures?

[This message has been edited by Ron in SoCal (edited 07-14-2001).]

• PMAUST

Posted July 15, 2001 - 06:36 PM

Well, now I see how Brian managed to get so far on a tank of gas on that two smoker of his. He pushed it! :) Also, I noticed that he seems to have forgotten his helmet and gloves. :D Fortuneately, I think he knows how to swim. :D
Nice pictures. :D

[This message has been edited by PMAUST (edited 07-15-2001).]

• Blue_Boner

Posted July 15, 2001 - 10:16 PM

Ron, thanks for putting on a cool ride Friday. I just got back from two additional days of riding in Big Bear after your Miller Canyon event. Big Bear has some cool areas to ride provided you have a license plate. I think I may have to try one of those SDG seats because I have severe Monkey Butt after a 240+ mile weekend of trail riding. I'll keep in touch to let you know when we're riding again. Thanks Again, Eric

[This message has been edited by Blue Boner (edited 07-16-2001).]

• gtms34

Posted July 16, 2001 - 05:33 AM

Ron,
thanks for a great ride. I was a great turnout. I haven't been on a ride like that with my 650. I will NOT fill that IMS tank for the next ride. Too much weight. The view from Buttler Peak made it all worth while. Great to meet you all and good teamwork to get all 18 bikes up the far side of Deep Creek.
See you all next time,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by gtms34 (edited 07-16-2001).]

• Swedisheagle

Posted July 16, 2001 - 06:56 AM

Wow, that was a great ride. The view from Butler Peak was great and my fellow riders were just fun people to be with. I hope you all felt better over the weekend after getting the 24hr flu on Fri. (thanks for spreading it Ron :D). Chris, you sure you wern't drinking vodka from that pack all day?

Kevin, send me your address so I can mail you a Shell tanker truck logo set for that gas tank of yours :).

Jesse, was your brother, on that 2-smoke, able to ride that thing back to camp???

Mike
01' XR650

• sirhk

Posted July 16, 2001 - 07:39 AM

I seriously felt like I was hungover except this time I wasn't saying to myself "I'll never do that again!!" It was "Wow, that was fun, this is sucking right now but I can't wait to do it again." I can't believe that my knee survived the entire day and then this morning getting outta bed I managed to blow it out. I feel like I'm getting old cause my body just ain't doing what I want it to but I'm only 24!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gtms34

Posted July 16, 2001 - 02:16 PM

Mike,
Maybe we should call my bike the XR VALDEEZ.
All I need is an oil leak :). My bike used about half a tank in 71+ miles. I'll be running the stock tank without the filler baffle next time.
BTW, I finished off both tires on Friday's ride. Got any recommendations for rears that can hold up to the 650?

Thanks

• Blue_Boner

Posted July 16, 2001 - 03:05 PM

GTMS34, I have a friend with an XR650(the extra bike on the trailer on Friday) and the only tire that will hold up to that amount of power without chunking is the Dunlop 739 Desert AT. This is the tire I am going to use after my Bridgestone M78 wears out. Happy Trails, Eric

• slr

Posted July 16, 2001 - 04:04 PM

thank you ron, for a great day in the sun and for spliting the group up to much dust. for you ha ha. devils hole was open just for us didn't get busted for it so we got very lucky but it was a nice fresh trail. i had 83.6 miles at the end of my ride. can't wait for the next friday 13 september 2002. steve 00wr400

• PMAUST

Posted July 16, 2001 - 07:36 PM

Swedisheagle, I don't think Jesse gets onto TT much. But, Brian did make it back after someone(Thank you whoever you are) brought some gas back to him. I think he said that he ran out about four miles from the staging area. Jesse and Brian both had a great time and want to do it again. Hopefully, myself and my youngest son Joshua will be able to join you guys next time. Looks like a great ride. All day long on Friday I kept looking at my watch and thinking about all you guys out there riding. Serious drag for me. Hopefully, we can make another trip before the Summer is over. Take care, Paul(Jesse and Brians DAD). :)

• JESSE123

Posted July 16, 2001 - 09:49 PM

Hey guys loved the ride, and no worries Brian did make it back safe and sound(after we ran him another liter and 1/2 of gas.) :) Those 2 smokers. Anyway, we would love to ride with any of you all again, so let us know the next time you guys are going out.
Jesse

------------------

• PMAUST

Posted July 17, 2001 - 05:48 AM

Or, maybe Jesse can answer for himself! :D Good to see we are getting some new members on TT. :)

• sirhk

Posted July 17, 2001 - 07:29 AM

Sept. 2002!!!!!! That's a long ways away. I think we need to pick a couple more random days and dates to add to our list of days to ditch work.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• hodaphile

Posted July 24, 2001 - 12:51 PM

Originally posted by gtms34:
Mike,
Maybe we should call my bike the XR VALDEEZ.
All I need is an oil leak :). My bike used about half a tank in 71+ miles. I'll be running the stock tank without the filler baffle next time.
BTW, I finished off both tires on Friday's ride. Got any recommendations for rears that can hold up to the 650?

Thanks

Have you thought about the Dunlop 606 for the rear? I have heard great things and will probably switch on my next tire. DON'T recommend the front tire though, they take a loooong time to break in.

• hodaphile

Posted July 24, 2001 - 12:58 PM

A great ride it really was! I had to bale early because of other commitments, but from what I see I missed some great trail and some major exhaustion.

Brian and Jesse, I wished I had thought of giving you some of my gas before splitting. I swear by those sorry duct taped soda bottles I carry. Lots cheaper than those enduro jugs. And we few 2-strokers have to stick together!

------------------
aka Rich
1996 300 EXC
(dual sported)
1987 Suzuki LT250R
(Glamis chrome beast)

• gtms34

Posted July 24, 2001 - 01:00 PM

I hear that the 606 comes apart on the rear of the 650. I'm trying the 739AT.
Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.