Sticky throttle

9 replies to this topic
  • nmabbott

Posted May 15, 2002 - 03:26 AM

My throttle no longer snaps back to to idle, is there a spring I can replace or do I just need replace the cable and maybe the throttle tube as well?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 15, 2002 - 03:34 AM

When was the last time you took the Throttle assembly apart and lubed it ?

If Never

The Take the Throttle assemble apart, clean, lube and oil / Replace the cables if needed

Plus the Carb has a spring make sure all the cables are off and test the return at the carb making sure its not the vilian

[ May 15, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 15, 2002 - 03:44 AM

What Ego said. Plus, if you fall on the right side, the end of the throttle tube can be pushed up against the end of the bar. If this happens, loosen the screws at the inside of the throttle tube and slide the whole thing to the right a little (maybe 1/8").

Good luck,

• thumperpower411

Posted May 15, 2002 - 04:00 AM

• Ranger_426F

Posted May 15, 2002 - 04:13 AM

If you have a brand new bike you will need to tighten your throttle cables as they stretch. After riding weekends for about 2 weeks my throttle had alot of slack "about 3/4" play" it is suppose to be between .010-.025. Got mine a little to tight the first try and the bike was slow to go back to idle and was a little harder to control the throttle when riding. Did the second adjustment and all is fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nmabbott

Posted May 15, 2002 - 05:23 AM

thanks guys, I'll check it out tonight.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 15, 2002 - 06:14 AM

All good advice, but definitely check the cable to see if it's frayed! Check the carb side of the cable.

• bassr_#186

Posted May 15, 2002 - 10:30 AM

When I checked mine, the plastice throttle housing was cracked and rubbing the bars. I replaced it with an Oberg throttle tube (from Motosport Outlet), which has a bearing in the end. It feels and works great.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 15, 2002 - 10:42 AM

Better to have a sticky throtlle the a Sticky Wicket

Marck_UK can you explain a Sticky WIcket

• Uncle_Rich

Posted May 15, 2002 - 01:21 PM

If you have stock steel bars, take the throttle off and sand the rust off the bars, then coat with WD-40 or some light oil

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.