99 YZ 400F 450 Cam Mod Need Help

12 replies to this topic
  • lacofdfireman

Posted April 17, 2004 - 05:34 AM

Ok before you flame me and say to search for it I have read most of the 16 page post about the 450 cam mod. Sounds like a no brainer. Also did some searching about hot cams and didn't come up with to much besides its more expensive. What do you think I should buy? Hot cams or just a stock cam? Where is the best and cheapest place to get the cam. I am not opposed to the $200 cam from hotcams though. Is there anything besides the cam and some shims that I will need to do. Except maybe the Decomp Plug. Also I am not the best mechanic. I have never messed with valves etc, I can do the basics but have never tried anything of this magnitude. Should I have it done at a shop or try to do it myself? I would rather do it myself for the experience but I do not want to mess it up. Also what specialty tools are needed besides, Torque wrench, Angled metric feeler guage, sockets etc? Thanks for any input. Hoping to purchase this week and installing soon.

• Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2004 - 06:36 AM

You have the right idea. You'll need the cam, shims and feeler gauge.

The cam is your choice. The OEM cam has a slightly different cam gear and some were afraid that it would cause problems ...I assure you thus far there have been no failures. Just go with what you feel comfortable with or what you can afford.

PM me if you need any help along the way.

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 17, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Did you do the Hot cams Cam? What other specialty tools were needed? It seems like I saw something about calipers etc. Where did you buy the cam from if not hotcams. Thanks

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 17, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Do this:

http://shop.thumpert...tCode=QMR-03DPB

But talk DIRECTLY to Shop TT. I have a hard time believing we don't have access to the auto decompression exhaust cam as well.

[There is this as a STARTER ONLY:
http://shop.thumpert...s.asp?pdf=wb138 ]

• Satch0922

Posted April 18, 2004 - 05:37 AM

lacofdfireman,

I did the OEM cam because in May of 2003 Hotcams did not have anything. I have been very satisfied with it and I have checked the valves and cam chain no less than 4 times since I installed the cam. No visable signs of abnormal wear at all. I rode a 426 a few weeks ago that still had the stock cam. I thought to myself "how did I ever enjoy riding this thing before the cam mod" !!! LOL

I used no "specialty tools" other than a feeler gauge and a torque wrench.

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 18, 2004 - 06:27 AM

Thank you very much Satch for the info. I will be purchasing a stock cam tomorrow. I will do some shopping around to see who I can get the best deal from. Thanks again.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • galant2nr

Posted April 18, 2004 - 07:09 AM

When I got my OEM cam I got it from www.worldofcycles.com. They had the best price (about $100 shipped). YOu have to call them with the part# to get that price, and if they give you a higher price, tell them you heard about the better price on TT. They should lower it for you.
Make sure you have a set of pivot head allens for the valve cover, there isn't much room in there between the frame and the bolt heads.
I love my YZ450F cam, I tell anyone I see with a 426 that they are missing out!

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 19, 2004 - 06:42 PM

Just bought the 450 cam today. Bought it for $95 shipped from web page . Also picked up a Decomp Plug from the TT store. Thanks for everyones help. I am looking forward to tearing the bike apart and trying this mod. I hope I don't need any help but it's great to have TT to post on if I get in trouble.

• Satch0922

Posted April 20, 2004 - 05:40 AM

As long as you have the PDF file, the tools and the help of fellow YZF owners you will be fine. You will love the bike. You can also refer to my pics online for additional views of the "properly timed" cams.
450 Cam Mod pics

• bushy

Posted April 20, 2004 - 06:06 AM

Just bought the 450 cam today. Bought it for $95 shipped from web page . Also picked up a Decomp Plug from the TT store. Thanks for everyones help. I am looking forward to tearing the bike apart and trying this mod. I hope I don't need any help but it's great to have TT to post on if I get in trouble.

How did you get it for $95!

http://216.37.204.20...pe=13&A=250&B=5

It says $140.72 right? Please direct me to the correct page if im wrong..

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 20, 2004 - 06:37 AM

$95.00 is dealer cost. I just looked it up.

Bonzai :)

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 20, 2004 - 09:09 AM

You are correct. It is advertised at $140 on their website. I found this cost through this link. 450 Cam for $95.00 . On the link towards the bottom they were getting it for around $86 from John. I called and asked for John but he wasn't around. I told him the part # and said I heard they were selling them for $86. The guy told me the best he could do was $95. So I figured since the posts were around a year old they could have changed prices. Call and ask for this price. Ask for a cheaper one who knows. It's in the mail and cannot wait to do the Mod.

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 20, 2004 - 09:14 AM

This is the post I went from. It was from ChromedCRF (You have to call them to get that price. Call and talk to John, he said if I called him and had the part numbers of what I was looking for it would be a lot cheaper because he said they have some sort of additional fee to look up the part number and that is what makes it more expensive. I don't know why it is listed at 140 on the website, maybe because that is the MSRP on it. All I know is that I called John with the part number for the cam and plug and the total came up to $86.01 with shipping) I did not get that price though

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.