Closing the valves?

7 replies to this topic
  • bushy

Posted April 17, 2004 - 02:02 AM

Can somebody please tell me if it is a smart idea to close the valves after I ride my bike? Also how might I go about doing this. :)

• Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2004 - 03:09 AM

Not sure what you mean. The only thing you need to do after riding the bike is turn the gas petcock off. No need to do anything else.

• tctrailrider

Posted April 17, 2004 - 04:59 AM

The valves will close by themselves. The spring pressure will roll the motor either forward or back to releive the pressure.

• bushy

Posted April 17, 2004 - 12:46 PM

Ohh, I was just woundering becuase at this site, number 25 says:

When you shut your engine off, bring the piston up to top dead center. This closes the valves. It’s an old BSA trick.

Weird, if they close by themselfs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted April 17, 2004 - 03:21 PM

The valves will close by themselves. The spring pressure will roll the motor either forward or back to releive the pressure.

I don't think it will, at least on the older bikes. When I turn my bike off I always kick it until it hits the hard spot (valves closed) and about 50% of the time it turns over a good ways before it gets there. :)

• Crazythumpin

Posted April 17, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Pull the sight plug out, and spin it untill you line up the marks? I can do it by feel since I still have the decompression release in the bars.

• Hamish

Posted April 17, 2004 - 06:00 PM

closing the valves is only required on engines with massive camshafts (pro stock engines etc etc)
It is done to take the weight off the valve springs, which are only good for a few race meetings anyway in pro stock engines.

Hamish

• SFO

Posted April 18, 2004 - 05:47 AM

closing the valves is only required on engines with massive camshafts (pro stock engines etc etc)
It is done to take the weight off the valve springs, which are only good for a few race meetings anyway in pro stock engines.

Hamish

Wouldn't there always be an open valve on a 4cyl?
Especially with a big cam?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.