Guys with Rekluse's read up

19 replies to this topic
  • fatmancantfly

Posted April 16, 2004 - 07:31 PM

Here's a little follow up to my resent issues with the z-start. I was unfortunate to have got one of the z-starts that came with only two clutch cover gaskets ('04 YZ 450 issue only). What I didn't pay attention to when I was checking the installed gap after the first few rides was that the throw out and the pressure plate were hitting the clutch cover. Well, bad went to worse and I smoked a set of clutches. Another thing I noticed all along was that the actuator arm never moved when the bike was revved/ridden. Shame on me for not asking but surprise, it's supposed to move 30 to 40 degrees.
Even though I'm out a hundred bucks for a new clutch pack I still enjoy the benefits of having the z-start and think it's going to be worth it in the long run.
Al and the others at Rekluse were very patient with me when I probably wasn't so understanding. Al footed the bill for me to send my z-start to and from his place to personally check everything out. Turns out that everything checked out ok with all the internal pieces except for the throw out. They've removed .050 from the end of the throw out to assure it doesn't rub the cover.
I installed it again tonight with new friction and drive plates, three gaskets and the new throw out. It now works perfect! Actuator arm and all.

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 17, 2004 - 04:09 AM

:)

The people at rekluse are 100% buisness men that love this community and sport. That is one of the reasons I went with Rekluse the Customer support. Even before I bught it they answered all my questions.

Glad you got it all together and working, great write up and warning in regards to your experiance, not taken. I thnk its time for an inspection today :D

• OC768

Posted April 17, 2004 - 04:16 AM

This problem also occurs on the '03 YZ450, but like you stated they have revised the throwout assembly.

I had a similar incident except I noticed excessive slippage (and a very pleasant sound :)), it was due to the magnesium content of my oil from the z-s hitting the case. I spoke with Dan there and he was more then willing to do what it took to make things right, those guys are ok :D

And yes, my clutch is toasted too but only 1 more week till payday and Ill have a new one in there :D

• icemachines

Posted April 17, 2004 - 08:43 AM

I also had the same clutch cover rub.Wr450 z-start and the external perch adjuster. I'm having a hard time understanding the movement of the actuator arm. From the previous threads I think I have a movement problem. I installed the third gasket and gaps are within spec. In gear the bike pulls slightly and when I pull the lever everything disenegages ( the arm moves a 1/16th inch inward ). When I accelerate the arms moves only 1/8 inch outward. I don't see the bike move the arm 30-40 degrees, only if I grab the arm it moves 3/8 inch. From previous rides the clutch works great, no overheated clutch plates. Could you lead me in the right direction with this actuator arm movement :)

• Scott_321

Posted April 17, 2004 - 09:05 AM

Damn I was so close to buying one of these things. I was even told to go through someone like Rocky to get it. I would also suspect a place like Rocky to have the earlier versions that have not been corrected since they buy in bulk. Burned clutches, worn cases and clutch covers? For $300 that's BS. Sorry to be vocal but if that happened to my bike after spending 3-400 bucks I'd be pissed.

• OC768

Posted April 17, 2004 - 06:34 PM

I also had the same clutch cover rub.Wr450 z-start and the external perch adjuster. I'm having a hard time understanding the movement of the actuator arm. From the previous threads I think I have a movement problem. I installed the third gasket and gaps are within spec. In gear the bike pulls slightly and when I pull the lever everything disenegages ( the arm moves a 1/16th inch inward ). When I accelerate the arms moves only 1/8 inch outward. I don't see the bike move the arm 30-40 degrees, only if I grab the arm it moves 3/8 inch. From previous rides the clutch works great, no overheated clutch plates. Could you lead me in the right direction with this actuator arm movement :)

is this an 03 or an 04?
It sounds like you have the action of the actuator arm inverted and the clutch is always on. Is it really grabby at low rpms in gear?

• OC768

Posted April 17, 2004 - 06:42 PM

Damn I was so close to buying one of these things. I was even told to go through someone like Rocky to get it.

You mean tucker rocky or rocky mtn atv?

I got mine from Rocky Mar 17, they had just restocked because they keep selling out :D (yes mine is a Gen 3 also).

I was hesitant but have been very curious since they came out, and it got the better of me eventually. Also seeing the support they had on here and knowing I wasnt THE first one - felt a little better.

I would be pissed if I called them and they told me I did something wrong and go screw. But they were willing to send as much or as little to me as I needed to get things back to my liking. I did not pursue the clutch pack with them as I respect the fact that rekluse is still getting off the ground, Id really hate to own one of these things and then see them dissappear - but I doubt that :)

What I will say is if that is the opinion you have, don't get on anyones bike that does have a z-start unless you have 400$ because like it or not, its as good as spent at that point :D

• OC768

Posted April 17, 2004 - 06:48 PM

buy the way...
Posted Image
Thicker, holds more oil, and alleviates any clearance issues, yummy :) Now if they only made a package deal with the clutch and this guy...

• icemachines

Posted April 17, 2004 - 09:29 PM

is this an 03 or an 04?
It sounds like you have the action of the actuator arm inverted and the clutch is always on. Is it really grabby at low rpms in gear?

it's a 03 WR.
It does feel like the engagement happens as soon as your the gas. As for the actuator arm it is in the position as if the clutch/cable is pulled all the way in. As well, the actuator return spring is off. :D :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 18, 2004 - 04:07 AM

Why is the spring off?

It really needs to be on

I found this to be true

I like the lighter Spring because of its quicker responce action.

The heavier though illiminates all creep. I dont have any creep per say but it is difficult to get into nuetral at a dead stop on the lighter spring.

I will be experimenting with Spring tension on the heavier this coming week.

I agree 100% on the responce regarding the "I would be Pissed"

Ya snooz ya loose :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lipskid

Posted April 18, 2004 - 05:58 AM

Ice- Was your clutch throwout hitting your cover? Does it stick up through(above) the top plate? It shouldn't. It should be flush. Rekluse sent some that were to long. If it hits the cover, it limits its travel, preventing the external spring from doing its job(disenguaging the clutch). One indication this is happening, is the actuator arm barely moving. With the bike off, put one hand on the clutch cover. With the other, pull the actuator arm outboard, against the spring, and let it snap back. Do you feel the throwout hit the cover? If so, you can file the actuator down so it's flush with the top plate(what I did), Or call Rekluse, and they should send you a new throwout.

BTW- 30-40deg. doesn't look like a lot of movement(you should be able to push the arm in ~1/4" while at idle). The important thing is, you should be able to adjust the enguagement RPM(especially with the stronger spring). If you are having the above problem, you will have almost zero adjustability.

• icemachines

Posted April 18, 2004 - 10:36 AM

You guys are definately helping me get in the right direction.
On first install I had the cover rub and made some calls to rekluse and the new throw/gaskets were set.
I have everything installed but mothernature has droppped 6 inches of snow for the past week, and no chance to ride. I've been playing with my bike on the stand for the right setup & if clearances were OK. Tough to tell engagement speed setup, I'll have to try the heavier spring. Currently have the Lighter spring is installed.
The actuator arm spring has mention of being removed and no instructions for reinstallation. I'll give it a try installing it.
I did try with my bike in gear on the stand,and clutch lever pulled in with a little pressure holding it there. started to accelerate the clutch lever started pulling itself outward and the actuator did move 30-40+ degrees. :)
Not sure if this is the best way to get this result. However the reset of the actuator arm still has me baffled, without touching the clutch lever it sits between the 15deg range. doesn't go back to 0 and when accelerating doesn't pull to the 30 deg. When I play with the movement of the actuator arm, there no no real snap back into position. I'm beginning to think it is because there is friction in the cable/not enough pull with the light spring or the actucator isn't moving as freely as it should??

• renegade

Posted April 18, 2004 - 12:35 PM

Icemachines, I've been following this thread for a while; here's my contribution. I suggest you call rekluse; us z-start owners are pretty good at internet diagnosis, but I think you have several things going on at once. The throughout issue, the spring issue [you're NOT using an external spring?]. Save yourself some time, get Danny, Sean, or Al on the phone and get set up right.

• icemachines

Posted April 18, 2004 - 09:58 PM

Point taken Renegade. The people a rekluse will get me back on track, their customer service is 100%. :)
The previous feedback has helped me with more info so I have a better understanding myself. If it wasn't for this post I would have never realized I had a problem and if I fried my my clutch as well. :mad:I'd be some pissed.
If others are willing to post I'm willing to listen. :D

• OC768

Posted April 20, 2004 - 02:19 AM

I'm willing to listen. :)

ok, if you're girlfriend ever asks you if you think she's fat, say no. :D

But seriously, just post back when you're done with those guys - Im kinda interested in the resolution to all this..

• tyzfryan

Posted April 20, 2004 - 02:33 AM

lost my external spring first ride - By the way a rubber band works good for a temp. replacement. Had the issues with the clutch cover rubbing. Called rekluse - got the new parts next day. Customer service is awesome!! :) Everything seems to be working fine now

• icemachines

Posted April 20, 2004 - 12:09 PM

ok, if you're girlfriend ever asks you if you think she's fat, say no

What girlfriend!! My wife won't let me have one :D

Anyway the remedy was pretty simple. I had my cables tied down to my bars making everything look neat and this was causing the cable to not operate freely.
For others doing this install ( EXTERNAL PERCH ADJUSTER )the clutch cable needs to operate freely. The cable needs to be slacked off almost completely. Both clutch adjuster, and the inline cable adjuster, as well the actuator arm spring needs to remain off
Rekluse always seems to have the answer. :)

• oldbones

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:09 PM

Hey all, checking in with fresh scoop from Rekluse. I just talked to them on the phone, and they ASSURE me that they have a firm handle on this cover clearance issue. First off, apparantely, not all '03-'04 clutch covers are the same. Some have bigger ribs on the inside and those are the ones that had issues. They have begun using a different throwout bearing with reduced height to give more clearance. They are still shipping with three gaskets and promise me that if you follow the installation instructions, you won't have a rubbing problem. Also, they are working with their gasket manufacturer, and will soon be shipping two thicker gaskets instead of the current three.

Whew. I guess there's hope for me yet! :)

• renegade

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:10 PM

The cable and cable housing need to be free of impingements. Way back when when I was first trying out the perch adjuster, I found that my engagement [stall] speed changed as I turned the bars from all the way left to all the way to the right. It turns out that my bike, and probably most DRZ's have short clutch cables, and as I turned my steering all the way to the left, I pulled the cable tight againts the headtube portion of the frame, thus adding friction, and raising the engagement speed. Thus began my dissatisfaction with the perch adjuster; the potential for added friction that affected the performance of the z-start.

• fatmancantfly

Posted April 20, 2004 - 01:45 PM

icemachine
I don't think anyone has addressed your question about removing the stock actuator spring. Undo it and leave it undone. It'll just flop around. Just use the ones Rekluse sent with your kit.
I've got to spend some more time on the bike this weekend and everything is going great after the changes. It's hard to believe how much the clutch was slipping in second gear before I changed the throw out and added the third gasket. I was practicing second gear dead engine starts and kept fighting the front end to stay down.
This was definitely not the case before.
Another thing. I use the light spring with very little tension on it. I can start the bike in any gear with one kick. I just have to make sure the motor is up to full operating temperature. What I do to keep it from idling too much is to let it idle for about a minute in neutral then take my left hand and pull the actuator arm to the left as I put the bike into gear. You can let go of the arm right after it’s in gear. The bike never stalls this way and lets me get everything up to temperature while moving. Guys with the perch adjuster’s don’t have this problem.
After the initial first cold start and warming the engine. I never have the stalling/grapping problems when shifting to and from neutral.
I hope this has helped others to overcome some of the gremlins associated with being the first to have the new stuff on the market. I think Rekluse will be around a long time. Al bends over backwards to help me personally and I'm only one of hundred's he probably has to deal with.
You guys on the fence thinking about getting the Rekluse. I don't think you could go wrong with his product.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.