426 dying like its an old fad

10 replies to this topic
  • timmorg

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:43 AM

For the first time in a year and a half I have had problems starting my '00 426. I started it up first kick before my first moto on Sunday and rode it to the gate where I then shut it off while waiting for my turn. As the white flag came out for the moto in front of me I tried to start it. Nothing I could do would get the bike started. It was like somebody was holding down the kill switch. There was just no fire at all. So sadly I had to push it all the way back to my truck and then collapsed from heat exhaustion from trying to start it and pushing it. About 15 minutes later I walked over to it and it started first kick without any problems. Along comes the second moto. It starts fine this time on the gate and after a lap I make the stupid mistake of sliding out in a corner and the bike stalls. Once again there is nothing I can do that will make the bike start. Once again I get to push it back to my truck. Once again in 15 minutes or so it starts up on first kick. Enough to really piss a guy off. The weather was about 85 and really humid but I've ridden in that kind of weather before and never had any problems. My only thought is that big blue has decided that it doesn't like racing that much-haha. Any help from fellow thumpers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: timmorg ]

• motojunkie

Posted May 14, 2002 - 06:38 AM

It may need a valve adjustment, these thumpers get cranky if the valves aren't (close) to spec.

• guidster

Posted May 16, 2002 - 05:41 AM

Sounds to me that the culprit could be electrical--perhaps the coil or CDI as these devices often get flaky when hot, only to work again when cool. I would try swapping with a friend to see where the issue lies!

• timmorg

Posted May 16, 2002 - 11:46 AM

Well I rode it again yesterday at a practice and had the problem after the first lap while I was railing a corner in third. It just died like someone hit the kill switch and nothing would get it started. I pushed it back to the truck and it fired first kick after I had it up on the stand-dirty rotten bike. Anyway I tried unplugging the kill switch from the circuit just thinking that it might be shorting out. It ran great for 2 practice sessions and then in the third the same thing happened in a different corner. This time I happened to be on a hill so after I couldn't get it started by kicking the crap out of it I rolled it down the hill and tried compression starting it. The engine turned over for about 30ft down the hill and just before the bottom the beast decided to fire. It ran crappy for just a second and then was back to its old self. The fact that it fired but yet took so long to fire really puzzled me. This weekend I am going to check my valve clearances(should be interesting since I haven't done it myself before) and take the carb off and totally clean it out. And I guess I need to find someone around here that has a 426 so I can do some electrical parts swapping. Any more input would be totally appreciated since I still do not quite no what direction I am going.

Thanks
Joe

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted May 16, 2002 - 11:54 AM

tim,

Whoa, don't double or triple until this clears up.

It isn't mechanical, so electrical or gas. Not the plug. There is a fairly complete procedure for tracing electrical problems in the manual, the problem is yours is not always failed. Look for shorts or bare wires. If you have an intermittent component, it will be a bitch to find.

Now to fuel, it could be fuel but there would be a pattern like 'after a downhill', or 'left turns after a long hard pull', or something. Get a clean cup and make sure you have a good flow out of the tank. A carb cleaning is never a bad idea.

Good luck,
mwc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 16, 2002 - 12:07 PM

Mark Cantrells suggestion is solid, Id still do the valve clearance check. if you have a tight valve it could be causing some wierd things to go on. Remember, the valves on these wear INTO the head, causing them to get tight instead of loose.

• Mike_Nyquist

Posted May 16, 2002 - 02:52 PM

Thats scary man, I sereously wouldn't hit any jumps until you know you have fixed the bike.

• freestyle111

Posted May 16, 2002 - 03:37 PM

i suggest you park truck as close to track as possible.that way you dont push bike so far.

• rmarion

Posted May 17, 2002 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like some dirt in the float bowl? or bad gas.

I suggest,

clean carb & all jets,

Drain tank, completely.

Install new inline fuel filter.

Good Luck

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 17, 2002 - 10:36 AM

Unless you've got something big floating around in your float bowl and periodically clogging the jets, I'm guessing electrical. Any time it is running OK then suddenly cuts out my first guess would be electrical. Check all of your harneses, maybe something is loose or maybe a wire is getting worn through the insulator and shorting to the frame when it touches just right. Next time it happens maybe you can reach around and jiggle all of the wires and see if it fires after that. In a worst case maybe a component is starting to fail. Good luck!

• rmarion

Posted May 17, 2002 - 04:40 PM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
Unless you've got something big floating around in your float bowl and periodically clogging the jets, I'm guessing electrical. Any time it is running OK then suddenly cuts out my first guess would be electrical. Check all of your harneses, maybe something is loose or maybe a wire is getting worn through the insulator and shorting to the frame when it touches just right. Next time it happens maybe you can reach around and jiggle all of the wires and see if it fires after that. In a worst case maybe a component is starting to fail. Good luck!

Good Guess Sir Thump

Ditto hear as well, the only time my beast did not start was during a race at Mammoth MX, I tangle with someone, and kicked the beast 50x, then Superman who stated hes been riding one forever, pushed me aside and kicked 20x, then speculated something else is wrong. (no sh.. sherlock)
I had two electrical wires cut, taped them up and motoed away.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.