washing your bikes

21 replies to this topic
  • yznvegas

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:42 AM

What do you guys use to keep your babies clean? What do you guys block off i.e. tailpipe, air box???

How do you guys keep your chain clean, what solvents work the best for cutting that dirty oil junk on there?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:44 AM

Since I live in Hollister

I go down to the local area where the ilegals are and get them to wash it for a $1:50

• MXOldtimer

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:55 AM

I have a rubber ball I cut a hole in and slip it over the tailpipe,simple green everything let it sit awhile, simple green everything again, then start blasting with the PW. I don't scrub my chain, I just add more wax. When it's all clean I swap airfilters, change oil and smile

• yznvegas

Posted May 14, 2002 - 06:03 AM

Dude, you trust illegals to wash your $6,000 bike? Aren't you worried they are going to screw it up.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 14, 2002 - 06:09 AM

No not at all I am wearing my INS uniform :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 14, 2002 - 07:56 AM

YznVegas, this is my drill. I spray the chain with engine degreaser and let it sit for about 20 min in the sun. Then I break out the pressure washer and the all purpose cleaner and pop the hose from the washer right in the jug. Spray as required, occasionally stopping for the odd barley pop. I dilegently spray the chain. When Im done the chain looks like new. The I ride it up and down the street to throw the water out of the chain and re-lube the heck out of the chain with Maxima Chainwax. More barley pop, the clean the filter, barley pop, re-oil filter, set in sun to dry, barley pop, barley pop. put the filter back put the seat back, turn on the speed channel, look for World superbikers, go Ben Bostrom.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 14, 2002 - 08:01 AM

Oh I forgot, I got an expansion plug for the exhaust pipe. It makes it easy to spray the mudd out of the rear fender with having to worry about water down the exhaust.

• yznvegas

Posted May 14, 2002 - 08:45 AM

Shawn, that sounds cool. So you actually use the pressure washer on the chain?

Oh yah where on the bike is that part called the "barley pop"???? :D :) :D

(just kidding)

• idaho426

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:09 AM

On the same subject, does anybody cover the airbox or anything else besides the exhaust when they wash their bike?

• idaho426

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:10 AM

On the same subject, does anybody cover the airbox or anything else besides the exhaust when they wash their bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:13 AM

Usually the barley pop is on the seat, but dont hit it with the pressure washer, thats known as a party foul!

• eddiec103

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:42 AM

WHATS UP GUYS
TWIN AIR SELLS A COVER FOR THE AIRBOX IT COSTS LIKE 20 BUCKS MY DRILL IS REMOVE FILTER/INSTALL COVER/INSTALL EXHAUST PLUG-GYTR SELLS A NICE ONE/HOSE THE BIKE OFF OF ALL THE DIRT/SPRAY IT DOWN WITH A LOT OF SIMPLE GREEN/I USE TWO BRUSHES ONE FOR MOSTLY THE ENTIRE BIKE AND ONE JUST FOR THE CHAIN-REAL STIFF/HOSE OFF AGAIN/DRY/LUBE CHAIN/INSTALL NEW FILTER THIS IS MY DRILL HOPE IT HELPS OUT

• yznvegas

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:44 AM

Thanks eddie, that sounds cool. It seems like Simple Green is the stuff to use. I was worried about damaging like rubber boots on the carb but I guess it is cool.

• Wyatt

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:51 AM

Use caution when spraying around the steering head. I recently had to replace my bearings because the grease became contaminated with water. The water came from spraying with a garden hose....not even a pressure washer.

I use 50/50 MR Clean and water. Hose the bike off, sray all metal and under fenders with the mixture, let sit, spray bike again, wipe bike down with a wet rag, wipe down with a dry rag. Bike is now clean.

It works. Trust me, my bike is clean.

• eddiec103

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:54 AM

vegas
me and all my buddies use simple green and never had any problems

• thumper4life

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:58 AM

westly's clear magic :)

• tony_t.

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:30 PM

Charlies Soap it's the best thing I've ever used. www.charliesoap.com

• mightybuck400

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:10 PM

I agree with the Westly's.
Ive been useing it for the past 5 years.
Spray it on and hose it off.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 15, 2002 - 12:36 AM

I've been using a pressure washer for under the fenders and areas of the motor that are hard to get too and any place with caked on mud (avoid any area that has seals!). I use a sponge and a bucket of water with car soap for everything else.

• Robertski

Posted May 16, 2002 - 09:09 PM

I remember seeing a post where you're supposed to put a golf tee in the weep hole on the cylinder head to prevent contamination. :D

Sounded good to me... :)

-Robert

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.