basic 426 maintanence

3 replies to this topic
  • 250grip

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:31 PM

This is my first post and my first 4 stroke ,so please excuse my ignorance. I have a few questions about routine maintanance.The bike is a 2002 426 that I got without the manual, so I just need some basics till I get it.
1) how often do I change the oil? filter?
2)how should the dipstick read?(between hash marks when cold?)
3)the pipe is a thunder ally but the jetting is stock. I live in so. cal and only ride tracks. Change jetting?
4)anything I need to lookout for, that a life long 2-smoker might not recognize right away?

Thanks for your help!

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:46 PM

Welcome, Mr Grip...!

There are guys much better qualified than me to answer a lot of these points, but I'll happily offer you my opinions...

I normally change the oil after every second race meeting (I use Bel Ray EXP semi-synth 10w-40, but I live in the UK where the weather's crap). The oil filter is actually cleanable & re-usable, providing its not damaged, but the form seems to be to examine/clean after every second oil change.

Dipstick should read halfway between upper & lower marks, but do not screw in the dipstick when taking a reading, just 'dip' it in the filler hole and pull it out again.

Can't help with the US jetting info, but generally, the secret to long life is clean oil and clean air filter. Get into that regular habit and you should be fine....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted May 14, 2002 - 02:27 AM

DEFINITLY get a manual :)

• skthom2320

Posted May 14, 2002 - 06:22 AM

Try this thread: http://www.thumperta...f=6&t=004719&p=

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.