'99 WR Suspension setting

4 replies to this topic
  • Quickrik

Posted May 22, 2001 - 07:03 AM

Hi I have just bought a '99 WR400. I live is Surrey England. I didn't get a manual with the bike. So can any of you guys help me out with the factory settings front and rear??

• Darren_Santilli

Posted May 22, 2001 - 10:04 AM

Hello quickrik......

It depends on how much you weigh and your riding style etc...

Speak to the guys at Racespec ( www.racespec.co.uk )to see if you need to change your springs.
They are a great bunch. They sorted my suspension out and even say that if you dont like the outcome, then they'll do it again free of charge.

Darren
Buckinghamshire

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted May 22, 2001 - 10:17 AM

I just set my 99 suspension back to factory settings (base-line) and adjusted it from there a click at a time. There is no magic to this. Ride and adjust, ride and adjust. You'll find a happy medium at some point fairly quickly.

• john_pearce

Posted May 24, 2001 - 05:41 AM

HI QUICKRIK ,

I'VE GOT A Y2K WR400 , I THINK THE FORKS/SHOCK ARE THE SAME .
THE REBOUND FORK EXTENT OF ADJUSTMENT IS FROM FULLY TURNED IN POSITON TO 20 TURNS OUT ( THE STANDARD EUROPE SETTING IS 14 CLICKS OUT , 8 CLICKS USA ).I FOUND THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE TO WIND THE ADJUSTER SCREWS IN QUITE TIGHTLY , AND WAS UNSURE JUST WHERE THE END WAS . SO RATHER THAN FORCE THINGS I MADE MY ADJUSTMENT
BY TURNING OUT FULLY THE SCREW UNTIL IT STOPS
( I WONDERED IF THE SCREW WOULD COME RIGHT OUT ON MY HAND BUT THEY DONT ). SO AT THE FULLY TURNED OUT POSITION ( ie 20 CLICKS )I TURNED THE SCREW BACK DOWN 6 CLICKS TO THE STANDARD 14 CLICK SETTING .
THE COMPRESSION ADJUSTERS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FORK LEGS ARE 12 CLICKS OUT EU , OR 7 USA. THIS I HAVE LEFT AS STANDARD , SO I DON/T KNOW IF THE SCREWS CAN BE BACKED OUT FULLY TO AN ABRUPT STOP OR NOT LIKE THE TOP ADJUSTERS.
THE REAR SHOCK . THE REBOUND DAMPING ON THE THE BOTTOM LINKAGE END HAS ADJUSTMENT RANGE 20 CLICKS OUT FROM FULLY WOUND IN ( STANDARD SETTING IS 10 CLICKS OUT )THERE IS A PUNCH MARK ON THE ADJ SCREW WHICH LINES UP WITH THE
ARROW IN BETWEEN THE H+S MARKS ( THIS IS A REFERENCE POINT FROM STANDARD ).THE LOW COMPRESSION DAMPING AT THE TOP RANGES FROM FULLY TURNED IN TO 20 OUT ( STANDARD IS 12 CLICKS OUT EUROPE )AGAIN THERE IS A PUNCH MARK FOR A REFERENCE WHICH LINES UP WITH A PUNCH MARK ON THE RED NUT OF THE HIGH COMP ADJ NUT.
THE LARGE RED NUT ( HIGH COMPRESSION )HAS A RANGE OF FULLY TURNED IN TO 2 TURNS OUT . THE STANDARD SETTING IS 1 TURN OUT FOR EUROPE,AND THERE IS A PUNCH MARK ON ON THE RED NUT WHICH LINES UP WITH A PUNCH MARK ON AND AN ARROW ON THE RESERVOIR .
I THINK THATS ABOUT IT , HOPE NOT TOO CONFUSING . IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE DON'T HESITATE TO GET BACK TO ME.

HAVE FUN

JP

• john_pearce

Posted May 24, 2001 - 05:48 AM

HI UNSURE IF YOU GOT MY REPLY .
POST BACK IF YOU DIDN'T

JP

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.