stripped bolt heads

9 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted April 16, 2004 - 02:48 AM

i went to change my oil for the fist time yesterday, (only had the bike a month) and decided to also clean the frame filter. BUT when i went to undo the drain bolt underneith the bike the dam thing just rounded i used the proper socket and all. so now its nearly completely round. ALSO the frame filter nut is beginning to strip as well, i havnt been able to undo either of them, and since the frame filter nut is in a tight sopt i can only get an open ended spanner around it

any suggestions as to getting them both out??

• CheyenneKid

Posted April 16, 2004 - 05:23 AM

A buddy of mine did the same thing but he ended up snapping off the head on his drain plug because he was wrenching the wrong way. He used a screw remover sold at Sears stores here in the states. I've had the same problem on other bikes and did one of two options, used a dremel with a cutting blade and cut grooves in the bolt and used a phillips screwdriver. Other option is to drill a hole in the middle (I always use reverse drill bits for this to avoid further tightening of the stripped bolt) and use an easy-out. Either way I'd suggest using a propane torch to heat it before you try to remove the problem bolt and throw that baby in the trash once it's out (the bolt, not the torch). Hope that helps, good luck!

• jwashburn

Posted April 16, 2004 - 06:19 AM

Here is the damaged bolt/nut remover from Sears that I think CheyenneKid is referring to. I have a set and they work awesome. I've used it on stripped bolts that I never thought I'd get out.

www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952166000

• TallBoysWRF

Posted April 16, 2004 - 11:07 AM

I second jwasburn. That set from Sears is awsome. :D Good luck. :)

• Hamish

Posted April 16, 2004 - 12:13 PM

For the sump plug:
First try using a single hex socket (6 faces ). Otherwise get a flank drive socket (snap on) or a metrinch socket. If this fails use the above advise re easy outs. Alternateively, disconect all your electrics and weld a nut to the bottom of the sump plug and remove it that way.

For the frame oil strainer:
Get a deep socket, preferably in single hex. Then grind the first 1/16" of the bottom of the socket. All souckets have a taper which makes them go over the bolt easier. If you remove this taper section you will get a bit of extra bite.

hope this helps.
Hamish

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ChrisG

Posted April 16, 2004 - 12:24 PM

I had a frozen bolt on my fork leg (one of the ones that holds the front axle). No matter what I did or used, it wouldn't budge. Finally I cut a groove in the bolt head with a kacksaw and used an impact screw driver and it worked like a charm.

• ChrisG

Posted April 16, 2004 - 12:26 PM

I had a frozen bolt on my fork leg (one of the ones that holds the front axle). No matter what I did or used, it wouldn't budge. Finally I cut a groove in the bolt head with a kacksaw and used an impact screw driver and it worked like a charm.

That would be hacksaw, not kacksaw, just in case someone actually thought there was such a tool.

• Brettv

Posted April 16, 2004 - 10:38 PM

thanks a lot guys for all your help, ill have a go at getting some of those damged nut removers, althogh im in aus, im sure the local hardware store would have something similar.

Cheers :)

• Hamish

Posted April 16, 2004 - 11:27 PM

Brett,

Bunnings will have them, or Mitre 10.
I really advise the single hex socket option first. Unless you have completely butchered the head, you should be able to get it out with no worries.

Hamish

• Brettv

Posted April 17, 2004 - 12:04 AM

ok, well ill see if i can dig up a 6 hex head, mine have 8 or 10 or somehting, but ill check,

thanks Hamish

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.