Harsh forks

2 replies to this topic
  • pchansen

Posted April 15, 2004 - 07:05 PM

HELP!! My BRP is giving me a rough ride! My front forks are set up as follows.. .47kg springs, 3wt oil @120mm from top and the compression backed off (can't remember exactly how many clicks sitting here at the computer). I weigh about 245lbs fully loaded. Forks are slid up 5 mm in the clamps as well.
Of all places, the forks are giving a harsh ride on gravel forest roads. The small high-frequency jolts are transmitted right up into my hands and arms. Ironically, on the trails, the bike seems to behave pretty good. I'm running the stock bars and am planning on going to an after-market aluminum bar - maybe a CR-high bend. Any Ideas on what could be causing this harshness in the first 10-20% of the travel? Also, when I changed the springs, the instructions mentioned pre-load spacers. I didn't see any. I assume the instructions are generic and disregarded this step- am I correct? :)
Thanks,
Paul

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toast

Posted April 15, 2004 - 07:22 PM

Maybe your tire pressure is too high? My guess is you have it as hard as a rock. Tire pressure makes a big difference in how it feels on the fire roads. The hits are too small, too many & too fast for your suspension to soak them up. Your tire however can absorb most of them with the right pressure. I'm not familiar with the BRP but I'd guess your pressure is higher than it needs to be. Just make sure you don't go too low & pinch flat on a big rock hit. JMHO.

Maybe somebody with BRP experience will tell you what to run your pressure at. Good luck! :)

• RobBarnum

Posted April 15, 2004 - 10:26 PM

The complaint that you have is a very comon one indeed :). I can help you with your suspension problem. Please feel free to give me a call and I would be glad to help you out 760-868-8097.
Thanks Rob Barnum.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.