Ego, what was the deal with gyro feeling

7 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:46 PM

I'll be dog goned, I had the exact same deal last friday afternoon. it was the strangest thing, the bike seemed to be fighting me upon entrance to a corner. Did you get that figured out?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:54 PM

Soooo Nooowwww ya want me help eh!

Well Just becouse I am a nice guy I will tell ya

Bearings and Races are shot!

I took the bearings & races out, cleaned them (Ultra Sound clean warm solvant tank).

After I got em clean I looked at them real close and found the races actually were warn to a point of high and low points. It looks like shadows in the bright sun. You will notice a duller look on the high sides.

about 100 bucks to fix..... No Mo gyro...... :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:58 PM

A HUNDRED BUCKS FOR HEADSTOCK BEARINGS? or did you get the ultra trick titanium bearings that save 1.2 grams? Just kidding. The hundred bucks blows my mind though, I did the headstock bearings on my cr500 cost me 12 bucks for both!

• Bambislayer

Posted May 13, 2002 - 02:01 PM

Ego- I will be replacing the bearings on my 01 shortly and am curious how hard it is to remove the lower bearing? I do not have any fancy tools in the way of air chisels or presses but I do have a standard chisel and hammer. Will that work as the manual states?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted May 13, 2002 - 02:31 PM

I can look at the invoice but it was like 26.78 bucks a peice for the bearings and 16 or 20 something for the races

Its not hard, if you a queessie the I suggest bring it down to the nearst bike shop / machin shop they can pop it of in seconds for a few bucks.

As long as its not rusted or camoded up, you can get a couple of good pry bars under it and with even pressure should slide off with no worries....
I actually use some old fashion brake adjusters for a chevy pickup........ They are durable enough and have the right angle to slip right under the botom bearing

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 20, 2002 - 03:13 AM

Found the entire Beering kit at rockymountainmc for 45 bucks Top and Bottom

Took the Yami's back

I can not find the part number on line will post it from the catalog later

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 20, 2002 - 04:46 AM

Here is the link
look for
Steering Stem Bearing Kit, Yamaha YZ426F 00-02

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 20, 2002 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Ego, I found that last night in the Rocky Cat. myself too. I got my tires from Rocky and they sent me a catalog. Nice book. That wherehouse must be huge.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.