Destroyed engine

67 replies to this topic
  • C'dale136

Posted May 15, 2002 - 07:15 PM

A great post from truly great people. TT Rocks!

After you do your best cleaning of the frame I would see if you could rig up some kind of filter between the resevoir and the engine. You can buy an inline fuel filter. Does someone make an inline oil filter? Just a thought.

Good luck.

• gtms34

Posted May 16, 2002 - 09:46 PM

I have access to killer in line oil filters. I'll take a look at how much room is available vs the sizes we have. I'll let you know.

As for you and your wife, 10 years ago my wife and I were DONE as far as she was concerned. It was not easy but we got it right. Now we have a awesome little boy and she's working on our daughter right now. Don't let ego get in the way, follow your heart.

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: gtms34 ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 16, 2002 - 12:14 PM

Thumpsalad, I have an idea for cleaning your resi. Fill it with McKay's carburator cleaner/ parts dip and then flush it with a pressure washer. It oughta be clean then. That McKays cuts everything, and its water soluble. If ya do that with the big screen in the bottom out, you'll probably be ok again.

Aluminum Oxcide isnt called grinding compound for nothing I guess :)

• thumpsalad

Posted May 16, 2002 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the carb cleaner/parts dip stuff. I think I will go that route since that seems to be the best thing to get that crud out of the resevoir. I may even let it sit in there for a few hours to make sure it breaks up any clods of alum. oxide and oil that are mixed in there. I have to do the same thing to the oil lines, too.

Man, this bike may live again! :)

As for my marital affairs...well, we'll see what happens. I have no ego to speak of so it won't get in the way...that's what EgoAhole is for! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpster

Posted May 16, 2002 - 03:47 PM

For added insurance back flush the other direction also. I would repeat the process a few times for peace of mind. :)

• skthom2320

Posted May 16, 2002 - 04:04 PM

I was just telling my wife about this thread and how cool it was that everyone was pitching in to help thumpsalad. I also mentioned the support that people were giving with regard to the marital issues.

My wife's comment was "I always thought you guys referred to it as dump-her talk. I didn't know you guys actually cared about anything other than your bikes..."

Gotta love 'em.

• thumpsalad

Posted May 16, 2002 - 04:55 PM

Let me tell you...I am going to flush that thing more times than a ballpark restroom!

Gotta make sure so I don't do a repeat or Ego may have some more colorful things to say to me :)

• armourbl

Posted May 17, 2002 - 12:42 PM

Just a thought, when you do flush it. Put a white, fine cloth on the flushing end to filter what comes out. Maybe the first time you'll see evidence of remaining material. If yes, you continue flushing until you don't see anymore evidence, then flush a few more times. That way you can gauge progress...

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.