Destroyed engine

67 replies to this topic
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:41 PM

Its worth a shot! Figure out what it would cost to buy/build a new motor and work your numbers backwards. Gotta figure a new 03 is gonna be about 6300 right? How much is a new motor outright? (how scary of a question is that?)

• lawdog

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:59 PM

Thumpsalad,
I have been inyour shoes many of times,and I have alot of extra parts, I'm sure we can revive your ride. I have cams, pistons, cylinders, and probably a crank or two. What do you need, I'll hook you up, if I got you can have it.You pay shipping. Let me know. Lawdog

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 13, 2002 - 02:21 PM

Lets have a nice hand for lawdog! :)

• cowboyona426

Posted May 13, 2002 - 02:27 PM

I'm with Shawn, hooray for lawdog! I'm glad to see everyone so willing to help out. Thump, if I had any parts you needed you'd be more than welcome to them, but the only stock parts not on my bike are a messed up fuel screw, a bent set of bars, one grip, and a countershaft sprocket! Anyways, with the help of all the guys on here offering you parts maybe you can make that bitchen looking bike run again! Good luck!

• thumpsalad

Posted May 13, 2002 - 04:50 PM

Damn...you guys get cooler and cooler.

Ok, lawdog, YOU THE MAN. Had to say it. If you can hook me up with anything, that would be cool! THANK YOU!! :)

Here what's gone:
Piston/rings/cylinder

Both cams and the guides that hold those down.

Valve lifters (all 5) In fact, I can't get them to lift off of the valves. Most likely binding.

Head (where the cams lay is scored up badly)

Connecting rod and piston pin bearings.

Crankshaft/Crank bearings

The clutch is heavily contaminated as well with aluminum oxide residue.

I have inspected 2 of the 5 valves and they look a bit chewed-up where the shims are. Grind city!

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

• EZGZ

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:03 PM

Heck I come over here out of bordem to see whats up and you guys got me in tears.
Look thump I ain't got nothing that you could use but my checkbook. It ain't fat but with a story like that I would make a donation.
That devorce bit put me over the edge.
It's not like you were stupid about it or anything. Just an honest mistake that could happen to anyone.
Don't be afraid to ask the lord for a blessing on this one. Try the Jabez Prayer. You would be surprised what it did for me.
Later dudes. I will be checking back.

• thumpsalad

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:14 PM

EZGZ,

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your post, man!

Although I appreciate your offer, I can't take your money, bud. This was a mistake that I made and I have to face it and deal with it. Giving away used parts is one thing, but to send me money? I wouldn't feel right about it. Why should any of you pay for my mistake? Maybe I'm just babbling. I haven't been "right" since I blew the motor...

You know, ThumperTalk is truly a bunch of great people.

• jdyfletch

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:16 PM

You Go TT Members, THE AMERICAN SPIRIT OF 9-11 lives on!!!!!

• jdyfletch

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:21 PM

If I had spare parts Thump, I would also donate, One piece of advice I can give you in terms of your Big D is dont do it! You both said I do, make it work out, unless its too late. I was once there myself. Turn back and Good Luck!!

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 14, 2002 - 02:09 AM

AMEN Preach it JDY

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lawdog

Posted May 14, 2002 - 02:58 AM

Thumpsalad,
PM meyour address so I can send some parts. I see that you have a 99 400 right? I actually have some big bore kits for the 400, so as far as pistons and cylinders, I will send the entire big bore kit. I have a crank for it as well as cams, and I will see what else I have lying around. Send me a location and let the rebuilding begin. Lawdog

• thumpsalad

Posted May 14, 2002 - 04:37 AM

Lawdog,

THANKS again. I really appreciate it mucho!

Yes it's a 99 YZ400. Do you have a head/valves for this thing? The cams look like they chattered in their seats and have pretty much butchered the head.

One other thing to add...like I need to add more to this mess...

I looked at the bottom end and it looks like the crank is on its way out. Can I assume that the tranny is damaged, too? What about the oil pump and anything else down there?

AND...how do I get the rest of the crud out of the oil passages in the frame???? I would HATE to have you be so generous and then have me go and blow the darn thing up again!!

• thumpsalad

Posted May 14, 2002 - 04:45 AM

Lawdog...I PM'ed you!

• intothumpin

Posted May 14, 2002 - 04:58 AM

Thumpsalad,
After you go through the donated free parts and have figured out what else you need to put this thing back together i.e gaskets, seals & head. e-mail me a parts list. I have some connections where I can possibly save you a ton of money on OEM and aftermarket parts.
I also agree with the others about rethinking the divorce. It's never to late!

intothumpin

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:28 AM

Thumpsalad, Sorry to hear about your ordeal. If I were you I would call around and try to find a complete engine somewhere. You would be surprised what people have laying around. Call places like BBR and some other hop-up shops, you might get lucky. Who knows maybe you'll be able to find a 426 engine. Good luck.

DL :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:35 AM

I hate to bring it up, but all the bottom-end bearings probably need replacing, too. If you got debris in your oil pump, then it could have hogged out the oil pump cavity, sending a whole bunch of debris around the engine, so you'd need at least a new set of cases and an oil pump. I have a feeling the tranny is OK, except for the contaminated clutch, which could probably be cleaned. (Unless a shift fork or two got bent when the engine seized.)

A similar thing happened to me last year, except everything from the cylinder head up was still intact. But I still needed new cases, crankshaft, bearings, oil pump, seal and gaskets to the tune of $1500 for parts only.

I wish I had some parts to donate. I do have two left side engine cases that you could have, and with a little bit of aluminum welding, drilling and tapping, one right side case could be salvaged. (The kickstart stopper threads need fixing.) Let me know if you need it.

[ May 14, 2002: Message edited by: Rich in Orlando ]

• moto428

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:43 AM

sounds bad bro.i have no parts to give but will donate to the cause(and dont feel weird about it,its no big deal).if we all gave a little it would add up to a lot. :) e-mail me with an address to send to.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 14, 2002 - 07:12 AM

thumpsalad, go with a wet sump deal from dubach. I wouldnt want to trust the frame or lines to it ever again assuming you can get enough to get it back together. Food for thought

• thumpsalad

Posted May 14, 2002 - 07:13 AM

Rich,

Thanks for the info. I kinda expected the bottom end to have some damage to it. I am afraid to crack the cases and look. I can hear it grinding itself to pieces...ugh....

Moto428,

Man, you and EZGZ are soooo nice to offer donations to me. If you are that set on doing it, just PM me and we'll talk, but to be honest, I haven't even really convinced myself that I can rebuild the entire motor since it looks like the bottom end is most likely hosed, too!

I am not in the best frame of mind right now with all my life's drama, so my decision making process is a little impaired! Sorry to dump on you guys...

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 14, 2002 - 07:25 AM

Thats what we are here for

Just dooooonttttt start

Cryyyyying :)

I hate it when people cry

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.