Exhaust ?

17 replies to this topic
  • Bambislayer

Posted May 12, 2002 - 02:30 PM

I am sure it has been asked before, but I am too lazy to search. What exhaust is the best for YZ426?

Think about workmanship, weight, cost, noise, power gains, durability, and availability to spark arrest it without too much hassle so as to ride trails with the girlfriend.

The contenders seem to be:

Thunder Alley(? spark arrest)
Big Gun
FMF
Pro Circuit
Yoshimura
White Brothers
Dr. D

Any others?

What would you buy based on what you know?

Thanks.

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• RSA210

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:14 PM

Dude if you don't do the work no one is gonna do it for you.What you gonna do when you buy that pipe and can't jet your machine.
WORK=RESPECT
Trust me,otherwise your questions will fall on deaf ears,I learned the hard way WTTW :)

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:59 PM

I run a white bros. E-series full system on my bike and am very impressed. After my Big Gun literally fell apart and big gun couldn't put it back together anymore (repaired twice), I went with the best pipe at the time which was White Bros. Stainless, well made, great sounding, easy to jet, and easy to add the spark arrestor too.
I have to say Big Gun has the best customer service I've seen anywhere. Each time I took the pipe in, I talked directly to Mike, one of the owners.
I believe the thunder alley and Dr. D systems are supposed to be the hot ticket but I don't have any experience with them. I wouldn't look at anything other than those three.
Don't worry about asking for advice and being too lazy to search for it. Someone is always gonna be bored enough to answer. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 13, 2002 - 04:25 AM

RSA your tough :)

Man WORK=Respect
Dude ASK=LEARN

I am running a Whit Bros R4, love it sounds good, runs good......

Honestly the Top exhaust systems out there, DrD, Wht Bros, and so on are pretty much the same. You will not get gobs of HP, but it will let the bike run cleaner aka breath. Dont get a bolt on Exhaust get the header and all...................

Plus Just to point out..
Exhausts that are bought by the genral public you I and the next guy, are built to add a all around feel for Low end Upper and midrange balances. Now some systems will allow broder power in the higher RPM Ranges some lower and mid range RPM. Unless you are tunning for specific there is no real need to shop at what exhaust is best. It just boils down to prefreance. I prefer White Bro's they been building Thumper producst along time. Some Like DrD becouse he is the man on the Yamaha. Just dont get a Yosh everyone knows they suck. :D

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• eddiec103

Posted May 13, 2002 - 04:53 AM

I RUN A FULL TI YOSH TRI OVAL AND IT RUNS GREAT
I WOULD HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH EGO ON THIS
IVE PURCHASED MANY PIPES MOSTLY FOR MY ROADRACE BIKES AND IVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH YOSH GREAT FIT AND FINISH WHEN I BOUGHT A DIRTBIKE I WENT WITH THEM BECAUSE OF MY PAST EXPERIENCE WITH THEM
THEY ARE EXPENSIVE BUT YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!

• yzf322

Posted May 13, 2002 - 05:07 AM

Dude im currently running te Big Gun race exhaust and haven't had any troubles with it yet. It pulls hard down low and in the mid-range. Had to rejet to a 48pj/168mj/moved needle clip up to third pos..

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 13, 2002 - 06:04 AM

Eddie

No offence,,, Sorry

• Bambislayer

Posted May 13, 2002 - 06:17 AM

To those of you who gave me helpful responses, thank you. I have always liked the look of the E-series, and after some checking on the computer, it seems like it is the most tunable, but I have heard it is loud. Just wondering though, most of them have an endcap which closely resembles something on a newer two stroke(fim legal stinger), but I actually prefer the look of the stock exhaust encap. I noticed that is what is being run on the Factory Honda machines(ti e-series with conventional stinger) and I was curious is that available to the public?

• Hick

Posted May 13, 2002 - 06:35 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
I have always liked the look of the E-series, and after some checking on the computer, it seems like it is the most tunable, but I have heard it is loud. Just wondering though, most of them have an endcap which closely resembles something on a newer two stroke(fim legal stinger), but I actually prefer the look of the stock exhaust encap.

They are all loud, except the FMF Q, and that one is long, heavy, and tends to fall apart (mine did, anyway).

The Pro Circuit T4 is also tunable, but you must buy their header (won’t work with stocker, while the E series will). IMO the PC is the best made, but all the WB pipes I’ve seen are also very sturdy.

Thunder Alley does come w/ an SA if you ask, but then you don’t get a stinger.

The WB R series has a stock-looking stinger. Maybe they are using that endcap on the Hondas you saw.

A firm called Pro Moto Billet makes a slightly larger endcap that incorporates an SA, you drill out the stock rivets and install it in place of the stocker. Sorry, I don’t have the URL here at work, but they do have a website. Doing a search on TTalk should give you lots more info.

Personally, I like the power delivery of the stocker over anything else I’ve tried (FMF Q, core IV, R series, PC T4, Thunder Alley). Despite whatever advertising claims are made I don’t think any really improve the power or delivery in any objective sense, so you may want to save your money on something more useful. Like a steering damper. :)

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamracing

Posted May 13, 2002 - 06:44 AM

I'd like to add to the Big Gun defense. I just got a full system from them, and it's top notch! It's ceramic coated inside and out (the only in the industry),and with the tapered/stepped header, it gives awesome low/mid response.

• Yak

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:04 AM

I dont hear alot about the GYT-R Carbon Fiber pipe. Why is that? I had always though that it was the trickest looking pipe around and probably one of the lightest. At $325 its not that bad of a price either. How come we dont see more of these?

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: Yak ]

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:33 AM

I don't know what you mean about the stinger endcap or whatever. The White Bros pipe has the block off plate that makes all exaust go through the stacked discs as a spark arrestor. It is pretty quiet and actually has better response corked up like that. You run the endcap on top of that and can't tell the SA is in.
As for big gun, I think my pipe was the first design and it mostly fell apart from rust. I think their quality has gotten much better but you know how first impressions are. Ceramacoat aint got nothin on stainless by the way. :)

• m2g4b

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:39 AM

I run a FMF powercore IV, Ive ran it for 2 yrs with out any problems, I really like it thus far, good bottom end to me, my buddy recently put the White Brothers E-series with the tunable disk - I rode it also and man That will be my next pipe!!! Its loud but no louder than any normal aftermarket pipe to me - and it has tons of bottom end with 9 disk on it anyway!!!

• Merfman

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Bambislayer:
but I actually prefer the look of the stock exhaust encap. I noticed that is what is being run on the Factory Honda machines(ti e-series with conventional stinger) and I was curious is that available to the public?

Click on the banner at the top of the page:
www.promotobillet.com

Merf

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:57 AM

Get the Thunder Alley, its hand made for you, it wont break, its light, not horendusly loud, and you can get it with a spark arrestor and its cheaper that everything else. I love my Thunder Alley. I tested the Thunder Alley back to back with my White Bros. T-4 and the T/A was hands down a stronger, more linear, more powerful pipe.And its a piece of cake to jet. After the demo, I didnt want to give it back, but I had to, but only because I didnt have my check book.

• Hick

Posted May 13, 2002 - 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Yak:
I dont hear alot about the GYT-R Carbon Fiber pipe. Why is that? I had always though that it was the trickest looking pipe around and probably one of the lightest. At $325 its not that bad of a price either. How come we dont see more of these?

It is made by DSP.

• RSA210

Posted May 13, 2002 - 12:21 PM

My apoligies Bambislayer,Your posting recieved far more responses than my first posting.NO ONE EVER ANSWERED!!!!!!!!!!!Good for you :)

• J_Bone

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Yak:

I run a GYT-R Carbon Fiber and LOVE IT!! It's not too loud either. Its prety close to stock!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.