Streel legal thumpin!!

10 replies to this topic
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted May 12, 2002 - 10:52 AM

Good news Good news. I just got my 99 YZ400 inspected by the police and its good to go to get a plate.

Ive been working on converting it over for the last couple of months. Ive pieced together a kit. It seems to work so far.

Electrex 45w lighting coil
Acerbis headlight
Ufo tailight
Electrex brake pressure switch
Electrex voltage regulator
Trailtech spedo and mount.
Acerbis mirror.
Custom horn (radioshack personal alarm modified)
and a honda kill switch.
Radio shack switch to switch between the
headlight bulbs
Baja designs kickstand.

I called 911 and they sent an oficer over to my house to give it the once over. About all he did was run the Vin numbers and check if I has a tailight. He diddn't look for a horn, Hi/lo beam headlight, or DOT tires. SWEET. Gotta love ignorant cops. No offence if there are any police out there reading this.

I dont have D.O.T. tires. My headlight has 2 35w bulbs I can switch between (wide beam / narow beam) I can only power one at a time with a 45w coil. It kinda looks like a hi/lo beam right?

Monday I'll be at the sectetary of state to get it legal.

• Dansgarage

Posted May 12, 2002 - 10:59 AM

how much did all of this stuff run you?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted May 12, 2002 - 11:18 AM

Electrex 45w lighting coil $170
Acerbis headlight $75
Ufo tailight $35
Electrex brake pressure switch $18
Electrex voltage regulator $20 ish
Trailtech spedo and mount. $120
Acerbis mirror. $14
Custom horn (radioshack personal alarm modified)and a honda kill switch. $25
Radio shack switch to switch between the
headlight bulbs $5
Baja designs kickstand. $150 (ouch)

What does that add up to. about $600
Looking back I probably could of bought a kit from Elextrex of Baja for what I spent. But I really diddn't want blinkers and all that fluff. I wanted to keep it very minimal. I can strip all the lights off and have it back to moto mode in about 30 minutes.

• yznvegas

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:12 PM

yzman wrote: I called 911 and they sent an oficer over to my house to give it the once over.

yznvegas: Dude, why are using the emergency line to get someone to inspect your bike. If you called 911 here in Vegas for something stupid like that you would probably get arrested. :)

• moto614

Posted May 13, 2002 - 03:49 AM

YZMAN,
i did kind of the same thing w/my yz426,although i am still figuring out the gearing what blast to ride my mx bike on the street!!

have fun
jeff :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted May 13, 2002 - 04:51 AM

I called the police station direct and they told me to call 911 so they could dispatch an oficer. I thought it was kinda strange also. When I called 911 they diddn't seem to mind a bit. go figure

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:11 AM

You paid $170 for a 45W lighting coil??!! :)
You can get a new stock 130W lighting coil for an '01 WR426 for $150! Then you can run a regular 55/60 headlight.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:22 AM

yea but you still gotta buy the wr flywheel.

I probably will upgrade at some point. I just wanted to get it legal with limited funds.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted May 13, 2002 - 01:49 PM

I got my plate from the dealer! with just a brake light.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 13, 2002 - 06:35 PM

Originally posted by yzman400:
yea but you still gotta buy the wr flywheel.

Oh damn! I didn't think of that... :)

• PumpkinHumper

Posted May 14, 2002 - 07:12 AM

DAMNITT!!!

I just got insurance for my bike today. No problem. Even without my cycle endorsment.

I went to the bank to get them to sign off on the title. The bike has been paid off for some time. No problem.

I went to the Secrectary of state to get my plate. They informed me that the FRICKEN officer diddn't fill the form out right. AARRGGHH!!!!!!! He forgot to fill out the back of the form and sign it.

DAMNITT!!!!!!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.