New bike time

9 replies to this topic
  • patcrosbie

Posted April 14, 2004 - 05:38 PM

Okay guys I've put a post on here before about which bike I should get (RM 250 or YZ 450F). Even after all the advice I got I still can't make up my mine so here is my new question, which bike will I be more competitive on, the 04 RM 250 or 04 YZ 450f in the C and maybe this year the B class? I'm a big guy at 5'11" and 240lbs but am pretty aggressive and very athletic (believe it or not). Thanks guys! :)

• revolucien

Posted April 15, 2004 - 04:14 AM

have you ridden both? i think you'll find your answer if you do. i would go with the 450 no question- 6'4" 235lbs.

• pilot21

Posted April 15, 2004 - 04:32 AM

For someone your size - 450 no question! I have an awsome 03 for sale if your interested.

Posted April 15, 2004 - 04:48 AM

What’s your track and places you ride like? If they include sand, high speed and big hills might wana go with the 450. If there hard pack and tight the 250 might be a good choice. I rode a Rmz 250 last weekend and I was impressed buy the power and how nice and plush it was. Later in the day me on a CRF 450 and the guy on the Rmz 250 raced up a blue ski hill run they had used for hill cross on sleds the week before and we were head to head the whole way up, there was still snow on the run as well I'm heavier but still pretty impressive bike that Rmz 250

• patcrosbie

Posted April 15, 2004 - 05:44 AM

I'm not riding on tracks with huge hills or sand and no super fast straight aways or anything. Also the majority of tracks I ride are hardpack/intermediate and just a few have a couple of sandy corners and a couple places add a little sawdust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 15, 2004 - 06:32 AM

I'd hang out at the tracks your ride and ask some one if you can take a boot on there bike and see what you think, if I was you I'd probally take the RM I only ride the 450 because of our yearly trip to ride in the dunes, need the power there

• gonzo

Posted April 15, 2004 - 06:50 AM

I know I am going to be shot for this but I have this weird feeling you should buy the Honda 450. The Yamaha might be too much to handle for you. Judging by your past bikes you have 4-stroke experience but none with a bike like the YZ. The DRZ is a smooth bike. Smooth is not in the YZ450's vocab. Try riding one before you buy it. I love my bike but I know alot of guys at your riding level that really wish they wouldnt have bought that bike.

• patcrosbie

Posted April 15, 2004 - 10:44 AM

I've ridden my friend's YZ 250 2 stroke and its a lot of fun and I like the power of it (more exciting) but never a 450 four stroke. Don't know if that helps or anything but oh well. Thanks once again guys! :)

• Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2004 - 03:38 AM

The 04 YZ450F has a little smoother power delivery...more so than the 03's I have ridden.

It only goes as fast as you tell it to though! LOL

• XXX_Thumper

Posted April 17, 2004 - 05:15 AM

I'm 6' at 215lbs also a c/b rider. I wouldn't go with anything but the 450. But get an 03'.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.