time for a top end

9 replies to this topic

Posted May 12, 2002 - 04:54 AM

My '99 yz400f is running absolutely fine, but I've read where some people are replacing their piston for no apparent reason. I'm a "B" MX rider with many hours on my bike (approx. 200 Hrs). The bike doesn't smoke and there is no loss of power. I recently adjusted my valves for the first time no problems. My question is, are some people been experiencing piston failures (i.e. cracking or siezing)or are they replacing the piston for the heck of it. :) :D

• thumper4life

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:51 AM

most i'd say (like me) replace em every year to be safe. and prolly to give em something to do :)

• moto_madman

Posted May 12, 2002 - 08:50 AM

would you rather spend a 150 bucks now and have a fresh top end or have a piston explode 20 miles from home.

• thumper4life

Posted May 12, 2002 - 10:36 AM

why would it be 20 miles from home? he rides MX :)

• moto_madman

Posted May 12, 2002 - 10:59 AM

Oops, didnt see that.

In that case. Would you rather spend 150 bucks now and be set for a while or lock up the motor in practice?

If the piston goes on a four-stroke it might take out some very expensive parts. If you have some time you can tear it down and check the tolerances.

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: moto madman ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fireballsocal

Posted May 12, 2002 - 04:04 PM

These guy's do have a point and it would be wise to listen. However, just for info, I have three years of hard riding on my 99 YZ400 on the completely stock engine. I ride this bike harder than most (high rev wide open desert and wide open sand duneing) and have had no problems what so ever. I have noticed a loss in compression so I think I need some new rings and a piston but it has been 3 years. I've estimated between 5 and 8 hundred hours on the motor with frequent oil changes and cleaned every trip air filters.

• vznx1w

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:27 AM

#302,

Just do a cylinder leakage test. This is the best way to evaluate a 4-stroke's top-end health. All it takes is a $100 tool and some compressed air--or you can get your local bike or car speed shop to do it for you. It only takes about 5-10 minutes; you just replace the spark plug with an air hose and remove the magneto nut cover so that you can hold the crank at TDC with a LONG wrench.

A brandnew bike, after break-in, will leak at about 4-6%. If you're still less than 10%, don't worry about it. Over 15%, you need to fix it--but, is the problem the piston/rings or the valves? That's the cool thing about the leakage test, you can locate the worn component by listening to where the air is blowing out:
Bad cylinder/rings= air is coming from crankcase
Bad intake valves= air is coming from carb
Bad exhaust valves= air is coming from pipe.

Remember, don't assume that you can just replace the piston/rings, you may also need to get the cylinder head/valves reconditioned, i.e; valves replaced/ seats refaced/ spring tension reset.

Good luck,

Steve

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the info on the leak down test Steve. I plan on having the valve job done along with new rings and a piston. Would it be a good time to replace the bottom end bearings?

• vznx1w

Posted May 13, 2002 - 08:50 AM

Fireball,

Bottom end bearings should last a very long time on a four stroke. The exception would be if you have a major lubrication and/or dirt contamination problem.

My advice: check the main bearings for any perceivable play when attempting to move the crankshaft up/down; check that the rod side clearance is within service manual specs. If both are ok, leave the bottom-end alone.

Steve

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 13, 2002 - 11:20 AM

Thanks Steve. I ride almost exclusivly in sand (Glamis sand dunes) and can't be breaking down in the dunes. You can't tow a bike in the sand very well.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.