Got to ride a CR450 today.

8 replies to this topic
  • Hokie

Posted May 11, 2002 - 02:57 PM

Pretty nice bike, still had the stock bars and tires though.

The tires made it tough to really get a good feel for it but here is my impression:

1. Turns easier than my 426
2. Cockpit felt cramped, but some aftermarket bars/clamps could fix that
3. Engine felt strong, but not as much top end. More low than my 426
4. Nice kick starting it without "the drill" but still not that a big a deal.
5. Stock suspension was way too soft.

I have mixed feelings about it right now. Hopefully I'll get to ride it again after it has been tweaked and gets the suspension done.

• az426

Posted May 11, 2002 - 09:26 PM

i had pretty much the same opinions as you after
my first ride.you gotta give props to the honda crew for the best looking bikes-i think if the 426 came with the bob hannah hurricane kit from
one ind. it would give it a run though.i think
the best thing may be the seperate clutch/engine
oil,thats just smart.all in all it isnt worth paying top dollar for in my opinion.

• Boit

Posted May 12, 2002 - 12:23 AM

I'm totally neutral when it comes to one brand of bike against another. However, some things stand out. As mentioned, the transmission oil separated from the crankcase was long over due and Honda deserves kudos for that. Yamaha should have done that when first designing their thumper. Honda also deserves a thumbs down for the SOHC design. While it saved a little bit of weight, it limited tunability of the cylinder head, plus, using a rocker set up on one bank of valves adds moving parts and limits revability. Apparently, so far, the bikes have been reliable. The positive result is that thumper development competition is moving forward. I expect F1 knowledge will gradually filter down to thumper MX bikes and we will have available 450cc 4-strokes that are almost TOO powerful. Fuel injected, nitrogen bladder operated valves, lower weight, advancing suspenion is right around the corner. I can't wait! I can't even wait for '03.

• Ramrod

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:44 AM

I rode a 450 for the first time the other day. My impression is that it felt a little lighter but the power just wasn't there compared to my 426. The Honda felt like an XR on steroids and this was even with an FMF exhaust. The 426 has more hit and pulls harder.

Other than that, I have never felt totally at home on a Honda since there aluminum frames. I'm sure it's something I would get used to.

Starting was nice - my YZ fouls plugs for fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:52 AM

lol, mine too! :)

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 13, 2002 - 09:20 PM

I saw a straight roll-on drag between a 426 & a CRF450 the other day and the CRF nuked it!! The YZ has HARDER HTTING power but less power. CRF has much better engine. The 426 tires you out real quick. :)

• Mark_UK

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:26 PM

xr6

i assume you have a 426?

• BFLee

Posted May 14, 2002 - 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Hokie:

1. Turns easier than my 426
2. Cockpit felt cramped, but some aftermarket bars/clamps could fix that
3. Engine felt strong, but not as much top end. More low than my 426
4. Nice kick starting it without "the drill" but still not that a big a deal.
5. Stock suspension was way too soft.

1. While it felt less top heavy, I felt less confident on the CRF negotiating some downhill single track. But this could have been as much fom the crappy stock tires or just familiarity.
2. Totally agree. I thought the ergo's/riding position was terrible. It must be setup for Ricky Carmicheal or some other 1/2 size rider.
3. I had the complete opposite impression. I thought the CRF had more on top and was kinda hollow down low. In drag races it was pulling away from my 426 from about the time you got into 4th, sometimes the 426 would get a slight advantage off the bottom. This was consistent after swapping bike/rider pairings.
4. Agree. My 426 starts easy and I don't have hundreds of starts on the CRF, so I actually had a harder time starting the Honda. Maybe if I learned their drill...
5. Somewhat agree. My 426 is dialed for me and I am heavy, so comparing it directly to the stock CRF was probably misleading. I was charging some decent uphill whoops fairly agressively and it handled that very well.

• fastkevin

Posted May 14, 2002 - 04:03 PM

Originally posted by XR6's rule:
I saw a straight roll-on drag between a 426 & a CRF450 the other day and the CRF nuked it!! The YZ has HARDER HTTING power but less power. CRF has much better engine. The 426 tires you out real quick. :)

The dyno tests I've seen show the two about even on power.
But in the end, this argument has about 1,000,000,000 posts covering it already, so there's not going to be too much more to add...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.