Chain Adjuster Block

6 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted May 11, 2002 - 08:02 AM

It is just me, or does it seem like the hatch marks on the swingarm for measuring chain adjustment don't line up with eachother? I've noticed this every time I tighten my chain. Maybe I'm just nuts, but has anyone else experienced this?

• grashoper250

Posted May 11, 2002 - 08:27 AM

I don't think they match up either. By the time I'm done aligning my sprockets and chain line, neither side of the marks match each other. When I used to use the marks for alignment, my back end would periodically kick out to the right side a little when I was accelerating hard up jump faces - without my input. I used to think it was because of my shock setup. Because these things eat sprockets so fast, one day I noticed uneven wear to the inside area of the rear sprocket. I ignored the marks and just tried to align everything with a straight edge and by eyeballing it. Ever since then my sprocket wears more evenly and it fly's straight; the back end won't kick out unless I make it.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 11, 2002 - 09:22 PM

I went out and measured the adjuster bolts on my bike right after I posted this. Both bolts measured 15/16" from the head to the swingarm EXACTLY (not bad for eyeballing it huh?) but the marks don't line up. I'm with you, from now on I'm just going to eyeball it and measure the length of the adjuster bolts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_mxrider426_*

Posted May 11, 2002 - 09:52 PM

Hey,

My axle blocks don't line up either. Does anyone know of a company that makes better ones? I payed a heck of a lot of money for this bike, and you'd think yamaha could do something as simple as line up marks right.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 12, 2002 - 05:50 AM

I know Emig Racing And Zip-Ty racing both make chain adjuster block. Emig's resemble stockers, while Zip-Ty's are anodized red and have a bolt attached (they are designed so that the adjuster block won't fall out when you have the tire off- very trick looking). The only thing I'm worried about is- what if the marks on the swingarm aren't in the same spot, and the blocks are actually fine? Looking at mine, I'm pretty sure its the blocks, but 1/16" on the hatch marks on the swingarm can make a lot of difference.

• bassr_#186

Posted May 13, 2002 - 09:41 PM

Another thing to watch when lining up the chain is the placement of the rear axle. The flat edge on the sprocket side of the axle needs to be perfectly flush against the chain adjuster block. I use the marks on the chain adjuster blocks to ballpark the alignment then I fine tune from there.

• timmorg

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:08 AM

A real easy way to line up the blocks is to use a caliper and measure from the part of the swingarm that the adjuster bolt screws into to the front of the axle block. That way you can measure down to the 1000th of an inch if you want to.

Joe

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.