seased up

13 replies to this topic
  • Adam

Posted May 11, 2002 - 06:24 AM

Well i seased the bike up today and and i'm going to buy a new piston for the first time.I need some advice on what name brand of a pistion i should go with? Sugestions would be very apreciative.

• thumper4life

Posted May 11, 2002 - 07:44 AM

uhhh, the heck did THAT happen

• Pazzo_P

Posted May 11, 2002 - 12:41 PM

Adam, It's been a while since I've replaced pistons but I always used Wiseco. They worked fine in my bikes and JetSki. BTW, How did you manage to lock'er up?

• Boit

Posted May 11, 2002 - 11:24 PM

When you "seased" her up, did you take her out to dinner and a movie first? Expectations and all, ya know.

• thumper4life

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:53 AM

he prolly made her pay, thats why she got a lil unhappy and seized

• Adam

Posted May 12, 2002 - 05:53 PM

Guys i was trail riding 2nd gear and it just locked up i have no idea why or waht i did wrong for this to happen does anyone have any idea or to why this happend?

• wylie1

Posted May 12, 2002 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like your oil wasnt circulating. I would check into that before you rebuild it and "sease" the new piston too. :)

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: wylie1 ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wylie1

Posted May 12, 2002 - 08:57 PM

I'm not sure how to check your oil pump with the engine not running. But I am sure someone on TT does. For future reference, it is a good habit to check to see if you have oil pressure after you change the oil. Not that I always do. :)

• Adam

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:17 AM

well wylie your right the oil wasn't circulating and did some big damage worth $3100 worth.

• Ranger_426F

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:30 AM

Holy Crap,

Hey Adam feel bad for you did you find out of your oil pump went down or was it due to another problem.

• thumpsalad

Posted May 13, 2002 - 10:36 AM

See my post and you and I can both feel the pain.

The post is called destroyed engine right below this one.

• wylie1

Posted May 13, 2002 - 02:00 PM

Hey Adam sorry to hear about that. Were you able to determine why the oil wasnt circulating? I had no idea your problem would be that expensive to fix. I will definately be checking to see if I have oil pressure before each ride.

• Adam

Posted May 14, 2002 - 10:34 AM

Yeah i just foud out that the bering that goes thrue the crank case wasn't letting oil up to the head and well thevalvs did most of the damage wearing down the head pretty. so i have to get a new head send my crank out to a machine shop and there is just and list that keeps going on.

How do you check your oil pressure?

• wylie1

Posted May 14, 2002 - 11:29 AM

There is a metal line that is located on top of the oil filter housing. Follow that up to the back of the head. On the back of the head you will see that the metal line ends with a bolt sticking through it, this is called the oil gallery bolt.

1. Slightly loosen the oil gallery bolt.
2. Start the engine and keep it idling until oil starts to seep from the oil gallery bolt. If no oil comes out after one minute, turn the engine off so it will not seize.

If oil starts to seep out shut the engine off and torque the bolt back down and go riding.

Torque Spec. for oil gallery bolt is 18 Nm or 13

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.