putting the oil seal back...

3 replies to this topic
  • Shane102473

Posted May 11, 2002 - 02:36 AM

I am having problems putting the oil seal back in the front fork. I went to motoman's website and made that little tool that he has for installing the oil seal, but it is still giving me problems. Anyone have any thoughts?

Posted May 11, 2002 - 06:13 AM

make sure you are putting them in straight and flat. It might help to put the seals in the freezer prior to installation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grashoper250

Posted May 11, 2002 - 08:04 AM

oil seals should go in real easy, you should NOT have to put them in the freezer. Is your tool clearing the outer fork tube when you try to set the seal? That could hang you up and keep it from going all the way in. Are you sure your setting the oil seal and not the dust seal? You weren't specific how it's giving you problems. I haven't looked at motomans tool, but oil seals should pop right in.

• motoman393

Posted May 11, 2002 - 12:34 PM

You can also use a punch and a hammer to "tap" the seal in. When doing this you must be REAL careful not to scrape the inner forks tubes (I normally make sure the forks are compressed completely, just incase you slip up it wont really matter (in terms of seal life). Also move the punch around alot (dont hit one side in too much) BTW make sure the outer tube (where the seal goes in is clean and make sure the circlip groove is free of dirt (this will make you life MUCH easier when it comes time to install the circlip) Later,

Garrett

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.