Clutch Action

4 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2004 - 01:45 AM

I replaced my stock clutch with a Barnett Dirt Digger and Xr's only HD springs. The clutch feels a bit grabby and will make a slight noise when taking off under load in first gear. It'll grab great at high rpm and no slipping. The noise is kind of a rubbing sound, like if you ran your finger across clean teeth, squeaky. What's the deal, am I out of adjustment a tad?

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 15, 2004 - 05:38 AM

I have had clutches on other bikes that made a noise upon engagement. I say as long as clutch action feels right at lever and engagement feels right, run it and don't worry about it. How much did the rebuild cost you, around $100? I am worried about clutch longevity for our riding conditions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 15, 2004 - 06:22 AM

Not many people understand our conditions. I changed my gearing to 14/50 and it helped a bit. However, I still find myself begging for the clutch in the tight stuff. Not necessarily for power but just for on and off throttle. I go through some tight stuff and it's just hard. Rebuild was 100 bucks. I did the whole clutch pack w/ Xr's only HD springs new judder seat and spring, gasket and clutch lock nut.

• Portland_650R

Posted April 15, 2004 - 07:44 AM

You can go to a 13 up front if you need to. I have similar conditions in Tillamook Forest where I ride. I had a 13/50 setup but am now working on trying to ride with the stock 14/48. First gear IS a bit TALL, doing that... :)

• stonewall

Posted April 15, 2004 - 08:06 AM

Every Barnett clutch I have ever used has been grabby and noisy. I tried them in XR400's and always went back to stock plates because I could never get them to engage as smoothly or quietly as I wanted.
I understand your conditions perfectly. :) I have tried 14/48, 14/50, 13/48, 13/50 and have settled on 14/49. It may be slightly tall but just leave it in 2nd or 3rd, abuse the clutch, and go like hell. :D With the lower gearing I found the power too abrupt in 2nd and it was wearing me out after a couple of hours. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.