Paper oil filters in 426?

7 replies to this topic
  • dvn

Posted April 13, 2004 - 12:07 PM

Well I guess its time to get back on Thumpertalk. Been on Dootalk.com all winter. Is it OK to run the paper oil filters in the 426? They don't restrict oil flow, do they?

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 13, 2004 - 02:48 PM

yes, works fine.

• OC768

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:38 PM

I just picked up a Yam. filter for my 450 the other day and noticed it listed the 426 and 450 on the package for applications, so I would assume its good to go.

• Boostn

Posted April 13, 2004 - 04:12 PM

I thought the 426 stock oil filter was metal mesh? :) Is one better than the other?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RJB

Posted April 14, 2004 - 07:20 PM

Sure I read somewhere that the stock filter allolwed 'bigger' particles through the mesh, although 'bigger' is relative and still extremely small. Think the paper traps smaller particles but cannot be cleaned and re-used. Some folks I hear prefer the Scotts stainless steel filter

• mikev7

Posted April 15, 2004 - 09:52 PM

Go here, get this! http://www.scottsonl.../indexmain.html :)

• OC768

Posted April 17, 2004 - 09:30 PM

I thought the 426 stock oil filter was metal mesh? :D Is one better than the other?

One of them you pull out and put in the trash, along with your $$. The other you pull out and make sure you get every micron of filth off of it, and plug it back into your engine hoping you did, so you don't have to throw away $$ for engine parts. Does that help? :)

On my 426 I changed the filter twice, changed oil every 3rd ride (Amsoil 4st) and never had a problem, it had the wire filter. On the 450 it has a paper filter and Belray dino. now Rotella T, no problems thus far - what can I say? I think with religious maintenance (all around ) you nor I will ever know the answer to which is better :D

• cabo32

Posted April 20, 2004 - 07:54 PM

i have raced baja 1000's, and 24 hour of glen helens just to name two and i have never had a problem. If you do your homework as well as yamaha you will see that the only people who have problems are the ones who change thier oil when they are fixing the problem they caused by not changing it. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.