front or rear sprocket change for more low end

6 replies to this topic
  • Redwoods

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:15 AM

I changed the front sprocket on my DR650 ($3200 if anyone is interested 1800 miles 1999) to get a lower gear ratio. It works well, but now I have a WR450 and want to do the same to allow me to putt putt real slow through the trails. Should I go with a smaller front sprocket or larger rear? The front is less expensive, will it matter?

• Frostbite

Posted April 13, 2004 - 10:39 AM

I have a 1 tooth larger and 1 and 2 teeth smaller front sprockets for my WR. They're quick to swap and you don't have to change the chain. I bought a set of chain adjuster spacers for a couple of bucks to help when the wheel is all the way back in the swingarm for the smallest sprocket. You can't fine tune as much since 1 tooth up front is like 3 to 4 teeth on the rear, but I'm not racing and it works for me. Changing rears means removing the wheel and usually a different chain length. You can swap front sprockets in about 10 minutes.

• KentuckyWR

Posted April 13, 2004 - 11:35 AM

52 - 53 on the rear should do the trick.
Make sure to replace both sprockets and the chain as a set.
Use a steel (or Ironman as Indy would recommend) rear sprocket. The WR will trash aluminum in a ride or two!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted April 13, 2004 - 12:55 PM

I run 14/50 in my 426, and unless you plan to sit on the front mudguard, this setup has more low down grunt than you can use. It does run out at just under 130Km/h (80 Mi/h) in top which can be annoying, but thats the price you pay for 3rd gear roll on wheelies and nice gear spacing.

• Wicked_Crash

Posted April 14, 2004 - 11:31 AM

I think droping 1 tooth on the front equates to adding 3 teeth on the back.

If you want just a little more low end get a slightly bigger rear sprocket. If you want a lot more low end, go 1 tooth lower on your counter sprocket. I think the smallest counter sprocket you can get for the WR is 12 teeth, but that's really small and might cause problems.

• the go-devil

Posted April 15, 2004 - 12:19 AM

One thing about a smaller front sprocket is that they wear quicker than a 14 tooth or higher. They can't handle the torque as well. I have almost always ran 13T front sprockets on my 400 and 450 and both bikes eat them up quick. It's a cheap fix for gearing but it sucks when you loose about 3 or 4 teeth out on the trail. :) I think I'm going to go with a 53 or 54 rear soon, since my current 13 toother on the 450 is about to self destruct!

• coldweld

Posted April 15, 2004 - 04:24 AM

I ran a 12 front sproket 50 rear,
and first gear became redundant on rocky wet climes i had to pull off in second as first wanted to loop.
I'm now back to stock and much happier but top speed is blinding !!!!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.