Very Cool Artical From Roger Decoster

28 replies to this topic
  • Boit

Posted May 11, 2002 - 11:55 PM

I went to my first pro motocross in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin in 1973. It was an international GP and most of the stars were there except for the guy I wanted to see, Joel Robert. Lackey was clowning around near the starting line with a Yamaha MX60. That bike had a square bore/stroke and would actually run backwards. Lackey had his mechanic push the bike backwards until it started while he sat on the bike backwards and rode it. Once it gained some speed, Lackey couldn't control it and he would just bail off. Lackey knew how to have fun.

I walked to the Husqvarna pits and saw Bengt Aberg sitting crosslegged on his bike. Once I got near him, I realized the bike was not on a stand and he was sitting there perfectly balanced.

Thinking about those times reminds me of why I love this sport so much.

Many of us older geezers remember reading magazines in the late 60's and early 70's that regularly ran photos of the guy on a Husky whose dog rode with him perched on a piece of Astro Turf tied to the gas tank. This guy competed in the B to V hare and hound, Baja, and numerous desert races in Southern Cali. He had a short piece in "On Any Sunday". That dog would use body english as he leaned into his master's chest. The dog could actually read terrain and react to bumps. Cool stuff. I'm gonna tear up.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 12, 2002 - 04:41 AM

Boit you got it right on the head, These were the greats the heros, the ones that avery snot nosed lil mx'r wanted to be.

I will have some pics on by monday I can not find my cache of oldies mags. Still looking but not on Moomies day :)

Gotta go before I am caught

I have a rag (Dirt Bike) with his pic I think, I cant remember his name ya that guy was a rip

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Bill

Posted May 12, 2002 - 06:52 AM

Don't know who the rider was but, the dog was Cookie". I think I read where Cookie ran off into the desert, never to be found but, one of Cookies off-spring continued to ride the tank.

Bill

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 12, 2002 - 08:46 AM

Thats right !

I thnk it was Martinaz his last name,,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdyfletch

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:28 PM

One day the family a I were doing a little spring cleaning,(just before the garbage man arrived)finished up, garbage man left, a little while later I asked my wife if she saw a box with all of my vintage motorcycle books in it. You guessed it! Garbage man. She heard about that dont ya know!!!

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 12, 2002 - 03:52 PM

If any of you have more leads on those posters, lemme know. I'd love to get my hands on that DeCoster poster. I'm too young to remember the greats of that era but can still appreciate them. I'll send off a few Emails tomorrow to see if I can't come up with any leads myself.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 12, 2002 - 04:12 PM

Boit Here is some posters

http://www.amsracing.com/posters.htm

• Bill

Posted May 13, 2002 - 12:26 AM

Eho,

The poster of RD on the upper left and the one of Joel Robert on the lower right are two of the posters from the Popular Cycling series.

Maybe this guy (AMS) knows????

Bill

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 13, 2002 - 03:31 AM

Thats what I figured So I posted the site, I was going to call in the AM
I am formating the Old MX pictures, this may take a few days, But here are some 80's Milers Guess:
Whos Who
Posted Image
Next
Posted Image
Next
Posted Image
Next
Posted Image
Next
Posted Image
Next Yes This is a 4 Cyl TZ750 :) Roberts was quoted "They Dont Pay Me Enough To Ride That Thing"
Posted Image

Enjoy

[ May 13, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.